Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML110 G5 vs. Windows 2003 x64 vs. SATA raid vs. BSOD

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenneth Mortensen
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G5 vs. Windows 2003 x64 vs. SATA raid vs. BSOD

We just ourselves a brand new ML110 G5 with Embedded sata controller.

This server is supposed to run exchange 2007 (hence the x64 version of windows 2003 server).

Enabling raid and configure 2 x Raid 1 was no problem. Though during installation it was impossible to find disks. We don't own an USB floppy-drive. (And not sure where the right driver can be found anyway)

Been reading through these forums over and over about the problem (The only place this issue exist for others)

I went with disabling the raid and installed on single disk. Then reboot and building the raid using Build option. Result is BSOD every single time I see the Win 2003 loading screen. (Cannot get it to halt on the BSOD, so no clue on what it whines about)

Got the windows driver for it (cp008698) but as others mention, when raid is disabled in bios this will fail to install, and when raid is enabled, it's impossible to boot into windows and apply the driver.

So what are my options here:

1. Purchase the HP USB floppy drive and re-install the system and pray that I got the correct driver to put on the disk? (They mention a specific USB drive must be used, which one?)
2. Manually install the driver on the server when Raid is disabled, assuming that would work. A guide would be very handy, including a tip on exactly what driver to use.
3. Use an USB stick and any USB floppy drive to fool it to use the stick during installation (F6)? Think I saw this mentioned, but was late, so probably just in my imagination.
4. Any other solution that would solve the BSOD with Win 2003 x64?

Additional questions, general HP ones:
5. This issue is not mentioned anywhere on the support pages for the ML110 G5, does this mean HP fail to recognize there is a problem or maybe they are simply unaware of the issue?
6. If the HP USB floppy drive is more or less needed for the product to function, wouldn't it be useful to have make a note regarding 2003 x64 saying "note that when using win 2003 x64, you will need to purchase USB floppy drive part. no... (xxxx)?

Note: I actually tried the normal 2003 server which works perfectly fine with the raid enabled. Though making it impossible to migrate to Exchange 2007.
Note: Have not tried downgrading bios as I have seen some killed their motherboard during the process.
3 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML110 G5 vs. Windows 2003 x64 vs. SATA raid vs. BSOD

hi

kinda headache uh?

try nlite it's much easier and no need for money (usb floppy)

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

and try this driver - cp008695.exe (731 KB)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&swItem=MTX-30d2dc5c002c456ca38f640063&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

BTW update to latest System ROM again
regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Kenneth Mortensen
Occasional Visitor

Karlo > that was top dollar reply. Saw the solution mentioned in another post, but figured it was probably a long shot.

I worked perfectly fine, and as a bonus I could make alot of the install silent because of the nice options in that program.

Off-topic: After getting the AD and DNS up and running so Exchange 2007 could be installed, I get a very long shutdown and start-up time.

This is the only server in this specific location, and as far as I can tell. It's due to the fact that AD is trying its own DNS before it's started, hence the looooong time looking on "preparing network connection"

Do you happen to know a tweak that will fix this in a single AD invironment? Maybe a tweak telling it to stop looking for another DC... seen lots of posts on the big Internet, but no real solution for this specific setup.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Kenneth

glad to know server is up and running thanks for the points by the way

I wish I could help you about your AD / DNS issue but I really don't too much about... maybe I will need to take some Microsoft books

maybe you can get some help here

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?admit=109447627+1215906131322+28353475&categoryId=278
regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!