108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G6 B110i Raid 1 option missing

SOLVED
Go to solution
n0fx
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G6 B110i Raid 1 option missing

I purchased a ML110 G6 server and I've been trying to setup the Raid for the server. When I go into the ORCA, the only options I get to create a raid is Raid 1+0 and Raid 0, there is no options for Raid 1! I have two of the same identical SATA hard drives and they are being detected in the ORCA.

I tried contacting HP support and their suggestion was to update the firmware for the Raid card, which I could NOT find. I found a firmware update for the BIOS, which I applied on the server (rom 27).

I plugged the hard drives to SATA port 1 & 2, is there something specific I need to go get the Raid 1 option to show up? I've setup RAID's before on other servers in the past.
10 REPLIES 10
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you try RAID 1+0 on just two drives? I saw a workstation board with only RAID 1+0 and it worked for two drives.
n0fx
Occasional Advisor

I did try that. I created 1 logical drive array, booted up the Windows 2003 SBS disc, loaded the driver from HP to detect the logical array, partitioned the hard drive into two pieces, formatted the first one and installed the Windows files in there. After the initial text based setup, rebooted and it could not boot up.

I tried looking inside ORCA to see if I can set the logical array bootable but there are no options to do so.

Is ORCA supposed to have a Raid 1 option or am I supposed to use Raid 1+0 for Raid 1? The documentation from the raid controller doesn't say anything about it.

This is how my screen looks:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9550/hpml110g6.jpg
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Here are my notes from the last setup I did. As I recall, you have to change the BIOS first.
-----------------
ML110 G6 server
Raid Configuration
See â Enabling and Configuring the controllerâ
B110i SATA RAID

Set up RAID F10 â BIOS â HD, exit
F8 - Config RAID

--------------
Check Page 5 below.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01706551/c01706551.pdf

I have 2 ML110 running Raid 1 with identical drives.

Good luck
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi there,

There isn't any option for Raid 1 in ACU or ORCA for smart array controller

You have only 1+0 option in ACU and ORCA for both the raid level (Raid 1 Raid 1+0)

How this works is if you have two hard drives it will create Raid 1 and if more than 2 equal no of hard drives then it will create Raid 1+0.

ACU reference guide
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00729544/c00729544.pdf

Hope this clarifies your doubts.

thanks.
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

n0fx
Occasional Advisor

Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I had a hard time wondering if the option was just missing. The manual doesn't really state that the Raid 1+0 doubles up as Raid 1 or 1+0.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Nofx,

excellent!

Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided was helpful.

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

n0fx
Occasional Advisor

I'll post points after I got the problem resolved. I haven't had a chance to try out the solution on the server but I should be able to tomorrow.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

HP has simpified the setup of the RAID controller, leaving fewer levels to choos from.

RAID 1+0 using 2 disks give you a RAID 1.
RAID 1+0 is a number of mirror sets (RAID 1)
that is stripped (RAID 0)
If you have got a even number of disks, lets say 6, and choose RAID 1+0, then it will create 3 mirror sets, and stripe those 3 mirror sets.
Having only 2 disks, it will create 1 RAID 1, and it got no more mirror sets to strip with, so you now got yourself a RAID 1.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

n0fx
Occasional Advisor

I got it fixed, thanks for the help guys. I got it up and running last night.