Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML110 G6 Easy Setup (SBS 2008) error

PschottD
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G6 Easy Setup (SBS 2008) error

Hi,

I am trying to install Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 using the easy setup cd that came with my ML110 G6 server.  I have the 2.30 (b) version which supports SBS, and I am able to select it to install and enter all my information.  It then asks me to insert the OS disc and it restarts starting up the WPE.

At this point  it tries to run hpssbem.exe which is where the problem lies.  I get the following error message when it trying to run it:

"%1 is not a valid Win32 application"

followed by:

"There was an error executing the following setup command:

c:tmp.hp\\sources\setup.exe /installfrom:c:tmp.hp\\sources\install.wim /unattend:c:\autounattend.xml"

I have had a look at some of the scripts that I think it calls to see if there is anything obvious, but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----------------------------------

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers --> Proliant - Net Servers to Servers --> Proliant (ML,DL,SL), Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES
rodger myles
Advisor

Re: ML110 G6 Easy Setup (SBS 2008) error

Are you sure the Easy Setup CD is valid?. Although I was given one there were notes or something which told me not to use it. I have a ML115 G5. Also, If you are running a server have you confgured RAID (I have RAID 1) using the internal S/W Raid feature and in that case was warned not to use the Easy Setup CD. Also on my unit I have no HP management software (none in the updates page for my model). All in all I ended up just installing RAID (2 x 1TByte discs) and going it alone as it were.

PschottD
Occasional Visitor

That is a good question; I didn't see anything telling me not to use it, and tried both the version that shipped with the server and one that I downloaded from the website.  I had wondered if my RAID setup would cause any issues, I have the same as you, RAID 1 using the internal RAID feature.  Will probably just install it manually, was just curious if there was a quick fix.

Nils Erik Jørgensen
Occasional Visitor

Hi 

I have the same machine and exact the same problem. First I installed the SBS 2008 with some dvd problems. When I needed to update and reinstall the SBS 2008 I could not do it with the error message above. From the shop where I bought the server I have been asked to try the latest Easy Setup CD from internet and also Smart update firmware. After that I will have someone come here and repair for me. It is a limit how long one should work with a system that is brand new.

rodger myles
Advisor

Well, it woud be nice to know if you got it going OK. I have a ML115 G5 and did not use the setup disc because the advice was not to attempt it with RAID installed. 1. Get the proper raid driver from HP support for your PC. 2. Get the RAID working (Status "READY") with the BIOS. 3. Boot to the OS disc. I did that and all seemed OK.

PS make sure everything is compatible with 32 or 64 bit PC you have.

jeremybarker
Occasional Visitor

This is not specifically a SBS2008 problem. It also occurs when trying to install Windows Server 2008 - both 32 and 64-bit. After all SBS 2008 is Windows Server 2008 64-bit under the cover. It seems to be connected with having a RAID setup for the HDDs in the system.

I tried to install without using the Easy Setup CD but then I get an error saying that the CD/DVD driver is missing and it appears that the Windows Server setup can't see the DVD in the drive connected to the ODD1 socket.

As a temporary measure I broke the RAID mirror and was able to install on one of the 2 HDDs in the system but before we put the server in production we really need to be running off RAID HDDs.