ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753776 Members
6971 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 G6: LOUD FAN noise at power on. Stayed on.

SOLVED
Go to solution
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: (Another Update) ML110 G6: LOUD FAN noise at power on. Stayed on.

Nice write-up. It's fun to hack some of these older systems... like you I'm sure, I'd be scared to do this on a system still under warranty, but for older systems that are past a useful business life or where official fixes cost more than the server, these are good ideas.

A while back I created my own battery packs to replace a handful of array cache modules. The official battery packs are expensive for a server on it's last legs anyway, and by spending about 5 dollars at a local electronics store, you can get enough to make your own. I like that kind of ingenuity.
Maxfactor

Re: (Another Update) ML110 G6: LOUD FAN noise at power on. Stayed on.

I am sorry but all I did was disconnect the red and black wire... bliss...

and yes the blow-out feature must be enabled...

ran windows assesment and speedfan... cpu 44 gpu 48....

i live in a tropical country... forget the spend on the noctua fans... take that 50 bucks and goto red lobster...

Specs

- ML110 G6 of course

- X3440 (2.66GHz)

- 16GB Corsair XMS 1333
- nVidia GTS450 (soon to be ATI 7770 2GB)

- 4 x 500gb WD Black on Adaptec 3405 (this controller is x4 pci-e card)

- Coolermaster CU600B
- the last HP bios modified with dell slic 2.1
- DELL Windows 7 Ultimate

av124015
Visitor

you can also unpluge the frount thermial senser

damanbaird

wont boot

rustiferch
Occasional Visitor

Hi Guys,

I know this is a really OLD thread, but thought I'd revive it.
I found this thread years ago when I was looking to replace my rear fan. Did that without issue.

Recently I stumbled access more RAM and a Xeon x3470 CPU. I upgraded from the x3430 and the system ran without issue, except that the HP stock fan couldn't keep up. Temperature and sound skyrocketed from an average 45-50 degrees Celsius with the x3430 to 70-80, which is too close to its maximum limit. Its only winter here so in summer the system would have melted.

I looked into my options and settled on a Corair H60 2018 AIO water cooler.

I've installed it now and the system went from 70-80 degrees Celsius to 30-40 and is almost perfectly silent.

It was tricky. I had to drill holes in the rear of the case to fit the 120mm fan (the original is 92mm) and it *just* fitted. I moved the rear 92mm fan to the front of the case under the HDD near the holders for longer PCIe cards. The 120mm worked once I had removed the pins from the stock fan connector into the HP styled one, swapping the pin layout. I left the PWM pin in also. This article was SUPER important for that.

The H60 has 3 plugs, the one discussed above and 2 more, one 3 pin fan styled one for the pump and a sata styled one too. I plugged these in using a MOLEX to 3 pin fan connector and a sata power also.

So far its working perfectly and I am very happy.

Thought this may help others who may still be using older HP equipment. So long as I can find spare HP ML110 G6's online for $100 AUD I think I'll keep mine going.

Thanks everyone!