ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753506 Members
5557 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212 Dead After "Recommended" Firmware Upgrade.

Stuartg_Perth
Occasional Visitor

ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212 Dead After "Recommended" Firmware Upgrade.

After three calls with HP Server support, the site for drivers and downloads was finally up after a short downtime, I informed the HP Rep that I was getting a "Overheating" error on the newly installed SSD drive, tried two drives, both the same error.

The rep said, the Firmware should be the fix, as I researched on the net, a day later the download site was up and I performed the upgrade. Then after a reboot the system gives a boot error, "Expansion ROM not initialized - PCI Mass Storage Controller in Slot 04 Bus:01, device 00, Function:00: .

After calling HP Support again and a bit of googleing, it appears I need a upgraded BIOS, easy fix, but HP support refuse to give me the BIOS as the server is no longer under warranty. And the rep informed me it is a known incompatibility problem, but still could not give me the BIOS download. Any ideas would be great?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

Re: ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212 Dead After "Recommended" Firmware Upgrade.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Login with your username/password to download latest bios.

Says: BIOS (Entitlement Required) - System ROM

So you can't download without SAID.

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Dennis,

An active warranty or support agreement covering HP Proliant servers must be linked to your HP Support Center profile to access this BIOS.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
GSimmo

I realise this is an old thread, however I recently encountered a similar scenario, where an updated RAID controller firmware rendered a HP Proliant ML110 G6 server inoperable due to an incompatibility between the server's system BIOS and the (new) RAID controller firmware. HP Support (Australia) wanted AUD$1,722 to "fix" it (thatтАЩs approx. USD$1,200 !!!) but after much looking around on the Internet I managed to find an ISO for a HP Smart Update Firmware v10.10 DVD which contained an updated system BIOS for the server.

Long story short is that I booted the server off said DVD and updated the server's BIOS using the offline flash utility... Problem solved :-) The server is running great once again and it's still up to the tasks asked of it (small 3 user office).

It was disappointing that HP support couldn't have just emailed me a copy of the required BIOS, as it was a very simple fix. I will keep that ISO on file in case I encounter any more older generation HP servers that are out of warranty.

Cheers