ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748265 Members
3972 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212

Mike Maddalena

ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212

Having some issues with this combo. Pretty sure it's all related to the P212.

Had everything working fine, updated Firmware on P212 to v3.00 (which was on the Firmware 9.0 DVD)- could not boot any more. Controller is not listed as a boot controller, logical drive is there and ok, Windows install see it.

Tried upgrading to P212 Firmware to 3.30, by creating a USB Key with Firmware DVD 9.0 on it and copying the correct files from the 3.30 update to it. Ran the update via the USB key.

Getting the following message (Expansion Rom Not Initialized - PCI Mass Storage Controller in Slot 4 Bus:01, Device:00, Function :00. Tried the 3.3 firwmare update again - same results.

Any options other then going back to the 2.74 firmware for the P212? I am worried that at some point in the future somebody will run a Firmware update on the server causing it to fail.

This server is in the build phase, not production so all this messing around is not hurting anything, just a BIG waste of time.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Maddalena

Re: ML110 G6 & Smart Array P212

Nobody has any ideas on this one? Did I post in the wrong forum?
Giovani Moda
Occasional Contributor

I'm seeing this on my ML110 G6 also. I just bought a P212 controller and updated it's firmware to 3.30. It works as long as I don't insert a cache module on it. As soon as I install a memory module, it hangs for a long time on "Initializing" and returns with an error "Expansion Rom Not Initialized".

Do you also have a memory module on you P212 controller? Have you tried removing it prior booting to see if the problem persists? If so, maybe we've found a compatibility problem.

Best regards.
Mike Maddalena

Yes, we do have a memory module on the P212. The server is now in production at a client, so my ability (and desire!) to test is limited. I wouldn't mind testing, but am wary of possible data loss.

Sounds like you are on to something though. Please let me know if you get anywhere with HP, I would like to update the firmware on the P212 at some point. Thanks!
Mike Maddalena

Oops. It's got the 256MB module with Battery backup, but I believe the battery was NOT fully charged while all this was going on. I remember it not wanting me to turn on caching till the battery was charged, but I did anyway since it was on a UPS with auto shutdown.
Giovani Moda
Occasional Contributor

Just for closing, it was in fact a faulty cache module. Adter replacing it, everything started working. Thanks HP for the fast resolution.