New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 2008 R2 Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Levwinski
Occasional Advisor

ML110 G7 2008 R2 Installation

Hi,

I am trying to install 2008 R2 on a new ML110 G7, which does not have a cd-rom. I have mounted the os iso on iLOs virtual cd and the windows installation gets to the point where it would normally ask which disk to install on - instead it brings up a message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing..." and gives the opportunity to browse for the driver.

This issue seems to be something to do with the hard drives.

When I browse for the driver, it shows the D drive cd-rom (virtual media) and the x boot drive (ram drive). There are no hard disks.

I have tried mounting the B110i driver here, but after the progress bar flashes by a few times I get "No new devices could be found..."

I tried to install with a usb flash disk and got exactly the same result.

I had the cp013704 driver on the flash too, but pointing to the HpAHCIsr drivers when prompted just resulted in the same 'No new devices could be found...' message.

I have tried all three bios settings for the B110i - RAID, AHCI and Legacy. Same result each time.

I have also tried taking the smartstart installation route but both 8.60 and 8.70 fail to load the GUI - I just end up with a command line that does not switch to GUI the documented way.

B110i setup utility can see all 3 installed hard drives.

I went through all of this with the online chat support and they sent an engineer to replace the mainboard. Still having the same issue.

Help!

5 REPLIES 5
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,.

Please try,

Disconnect USB drive and restart the server, then start the Installation

You may also try the following steps:
1) Boot the Server with OS CD.
2) when you get "Install Now" screen connect the USB Drive (with the latest Disk controller drivers in it).
3) Install drivers and before selecting Disk for installation, disconnect the USB Drive.
4) Start the installation.

Thank you,

Levwinski
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thank you for responding.

As mentioned, the machine does not have a cd-rom drive. However, I did do what you suggested but mounted the Windows ISO as virtual media. Unfortunately, this made no difference.

To simplify things - I should state that rather than a Windows/driver issue, I cannot get anything to load on this server.

Smartstart, which has the P110i driver, does not load.

I have tried both 8.60 (SS860.2010_0909.41-x64.iso) and 8.70B (SS870B.2011_1123.27-x64.iso) -

All I get is:

Starting udevd:                                       

Loading drivers, configuring devices:

INIT: version 2.86 booting

(none):~ #

I don't press anything to put it into command line, nor does it accept the normal methods of getting into the GUI.

As mentioned, HP have already replaced the motherboard once.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Try booting to Smart Update Firmware DVD v10.00 in interactive mode and check if you have the latest BIOS, P110i controller firmware and iLO firmware.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-b8f72c7727cd4e18b772df1cc8

Hi,

I downloaded the iso you kindly provided the url for, and booted with the image mounted as virtual cd media. I then chose Interactive as instructed.

I got exactly the same outcome as when I try to boot a SmartStart image:

Starting udevd:                                       

Loading drivers, configuring devices:

INIT: version 2.86 booting

(none):~ #

Levwinski
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Gave up and ordered a CD/DVD drive.

Burned SmartStart 8.70B to CD (using the same ISO that kept failing when mounted as virtual) and it loaded without issues. Installed 2008 R2 SP1 from there.

Thanks to everyone who answered.