ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748186 Members
4283 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 - How do you select boot drive?

ersanchez
Occasional Contributor

ML110 G7 - How do you select boot drive?

Hi,

I have a brand new ML110G7 and I love it.

I'm having a small problem:

I can't figure out how to select the specific hard drive to boot from.

The ROM-based setup utility seems to only allow you to...

• select which boots first: floppy, USB, network, or hard drive  (...doesn't allow granular hard drive selection)
  • select which controller to boot from  ...and there is only one on my computer

There's got to be simple solution to this.  I think I'm just too tired to figure it out.

9 REPLIES 9
Priyansha
Valued Contributor

HI,

Configure RAID first.. then you can select the boot controller option in RBSU.

For other troubleshooting for ML110 G7 go to the following Guided troubleshooting link:

https://h20565.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=5075942#topIssuesAndSolution

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

Thank you,
Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
For HP Guided Troubleshooting; https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/?language=en_US
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Adding to the above post:

ProLiant ML110 G7 Server has HP Embedded Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller (RAID 0/1/10) which can support up to four 3.0 Gb/s SATA hard disk drives only.

Click here for help on creating RAID on B110i controller.

Good Luck.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ersanchez
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your advice, Priyansha.

Is it possible to select the boot drive without configuring RAID first?

I'm running OpenIndiana (solaris) and I would like to bypass the RAID feature of the controller so that zfs can take care of hard drive pools.  I have read that zfs and RAID controllers don't play well together ...and they're redundant.  :)

Here is my current configuration:

SATA port1: 2TB hdd - part of zpool

SATA port2: 2TB hdd - part of zpool

SATA port3: 2TB hdd - part of zpool

SATA port4: 2TB hdd - part of zpool

SATA port5: 2TB hdd - part of rpool (this will be the boot drive)

Ol4Ma
Occasional Advisor

I would like to have the same configuration. If you select SATA Legacy you can select any drive for the boot, if you select AHCI mode (as you should), only the first controller can be used for boot and the boot drive (5th position) is hidden at startup. It would still work as soon as the kernel is loaded, but not at boot time.

If you can, try booting a minimal system from USB or SD card and then tell the kernel to switch to the 5th disk. I will try this solution, but it's a pity.

I would also put a cheap SATA card, but the PCIe fan will start spinning! I don't want that.

Please reply if you have further infos.

cjedonline

I'm another ML110 G7 user than wants to run the disk controller in ACHI mode and select the boot disk. 

I would like to set up disk 5 as a boot drive, having disks 1 to 4 (the removeable ones) as data disks in a software RAID array.

If ayone comes up with a solution to this I'd be very interested. 

Alex_G74
Occasional Visitor

I have the follwing setup Disk 1 : 1x 250GB disk which is used for the OS. I have now added 2x 1TB SSHDs for data storage and woudl like them to run in RAID 0. How do I enable Raid in the  and then set disk 1 as the boot drive?

Once I enable the embedded Raid; the raid controller becomes the only option to boot from. Wheras before there were 2 controllers.

Any help is much apprecited. BTW, love the servers, the run without fail but the whole setup is a bit confusing; just saying this as I have setup other systems that were a lot easier (and the guidelines were a lot clearer with options on how to achieve the setup that you want).

costin gusa
Occasional Advisor

open the case and inside you will find available one usb connector on the motherboard.

connect the cheapest usb flashdrive you have and format it using fat32.

install grub4dos on it (run bootlace.com /dev/sdX or grubinst_gui.exe) and configure menu.lst file to boot from the fifth drive

timeout 5

title linux

rootnoverify (hd4) #grub counts disks from zero

chainloader (hd4)

or if you want to boot directly a windows from the fifth drive first partition

timeout 5

title win

root (hd4,0) #also partitions are counted from zero

chainloader /bootmgr

setup the bios to boot from usb key

michael53
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I am also very interested in some help ...

On my ProliantGen8  I  have a SSD with an a previously installed "Windows10 pro" that booted up perfectly in a Toshiba laptop computer.

It also boots properly  when there is no other disk present in bay 1 - 4 and the SSD is connected to the ODD .

But with a micro SD card with grub4dos in the slot I only will get an "Error21"  with the mentioned menu.lst code (hd4,0) for a "windows boot" from SSD.

After eperimenting a little bit I found, there is a ntfs system on (hd1,0) and on (hd1,1) but changing the menu.lst entry correspondingly just results in another error message saying "could not mount ... drive/partition"

Maybe it isn't possible at all to boot windows or ist it a problem that it was previously installe on a laptop computer?

I would appreciate very much  helpful answers.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@michael53 wrote:

Hi,

I am also very interested in some help ...

On my ProliantGen8  I  have a SSD with an a previously installed "Windows10 pro" that booted up perfectly in a Toshiba laptop computer.

It also boots properly  when there is no other disk present in bay 1 - 4 and the SSD is connected to the ODD .

But with a micro SD card with grub4dos in the slot I only will get an "Error21"  with the mentioned menu.lst code (hd4,0) for a "windows boot" from SSD.

After eperimenting a little bit I found, there is a ntfs system on (hd1,0) and on (hd1,1) but changing the menu.lst entry correspondingly just results in another error message saying "could not mount ... drive/partition"

Maybe it isn't possible at all to boot windows or ist it a problem that it was previously installe on a laptop computer?

I would appreciate very much  helpful answers.

With an SD card, or the drives plugged into the bays, all the drvie numbering changes, If I recall teh odd port moves to the end of the device list

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!