6276 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 USB boot

All I.T. Solutions
Occasional Contributor

ML110 G7 USB boot

Hi guys,

Got an ML110G7 with the current firmware as of 12/05/2014. There's a 2.5" USB HDD connected to the system (used for backups).

It's bizarre, When the system reboots, it will randomly just sit on the black screen with the flashing white _ in the top left hand corner.

To me this says that it's trying to boot from the USB disk. If I reboot again, it will usually boot in to windows after that screen. I've checked the BIOS and set the correct boot order (and I think there's also an option to set the USB boot priority to low). Has anyone else had this problem?

Any help appreciated - thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

If there is an option called "Legacy USB Disabled" in BIOS do select this.

When Legacy USB Disabled is selected, all USB ports are enabled under a USB-aware OS, but USB is not supported during POST.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

All I.T. Solutions
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

So will this fully disable USB input during POST? Obviosly this is an issue if we need to attend onsite and make changes to the BIOS.

Thanks

steeleprice

That is correct. When you "Disable Legacy USB" Nothing on USB works during POST, including your USB Keyboard (and there is no PS/2 ports.) So you have to HARD RESET your BIOS to get back into it with a USB Keyboard.