108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 iLO3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming that you been to IPMI and you setup BMC for shared Nic and then static and you have setup a IP address 10.10.1.139 even after that you are not able to access ILO ?

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
JeremyS132
Occasional Advisor

Goutham Sabala, sorry no I did not. I cannot locate the IPMI menu. Here is what I have listed for my Advanced Options in the BIOS.

Advanced System ROM Options

Video Options

Thermal Configuration

Service Options

Advance Performance Tuning Options

Asset Tag Protection

SATA Controller Options

I have checked every submenu and I cannot locate IPMI. Any ideas?

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

While I check into this , would you please check if your server accepts the ILo firmware update?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=5075943&taskId=135&cc=us&lang=en&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodTypeId=15351

Choose the correct OS and look for lights out firmware

Edit  : since the server doesnt have a dedicated ilo card, Im not sure if the server accepts the above ILO firmware ( but you can still try the ilo firmware )  along with System bios ( please update the systemm bios as well - which may allow us to see IPMI in bios )

> Bios first and then ILO firmware

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
JeremyS132
Occasional Advisor

Goutham Sabala, thanks for the information. I have pushed the 04/21/2011 BIOS to the machine and have re-installed the 1.28 iLO drivers and they both installed successfully. The same issue persists I cannot find the IPMI menu. Please advise. 

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor
Solution

The ML110 G7 comes with iLO3 not with the old LO100i.

During POST, press any key as soon as you see that message at the bottom of the screen saying something about pressing a key to see all POST messages. Shortly after that you should be able to see Integrated Lights-Out 3 Option ROM asking you to press F8 to enter RBSU.

Once in iLO RBSU, you can see and change the network settings. If you don't have the iLO dedicated NIC option, be sure that the 'Network Interface Adapter' is set to 'Shared Network Port'. If you want static IP address, you have to first disable DHCP then manually enter IP address, net mask, gateway, DNS, etc .  Finally, don't forget to create a new user with admin priviledges.  After exiting RBSU, iLO is going to reboot to take the new network settings.

About iLO shared NIC, if your environment allows you to have a separate network connection for iLO3, please buy the iLO dedicated NIC.  It is much better.  The shared NIC is good for cases where customers cannot afford to have a separate network cable for every iLO in their datacenters but, shared NIC is not an ideal solution.  iLO is basically at the mercy of the server's NIC.  Every time the server NIC is reset either because the server is rebooting or the OS is loading the NIC driver, iLO would not be available for up to 5 seconds. This causes few headaches. The dedicated NIC will ensure your iLO will always be there.

Thank you so much for the help that is exactly what I needed. I appreciate the information and will look at adding the dedicated iLO. 

ExpertSkinDoc

Disable the fancy Boot POST splash in BIOS, then when you boot up, you will see the prompt <press F8 to modify iLO3>.

Took me a while to figure it out why I couldn't get to the iLO modification page, but disabling the fancy splash and voila, I was able to get in and set up iLO.

I like the shared NIC. I have 3 GML110 G7's, 2 of them have dedicated NIC, I still used shared NICs, it's so convenient to use, no need to have another network cable.