ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752565 Members
5346 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 G7 not recognising SATA RDX drive

b0r15

ML110 G7 not recognising SATA RDX drive

I have a new ML110 G7, purchased recently to replace an ML110 G5.  The G7 seems completely unwilling to recognize anything plugged into either of the 2 SATA ports except an actual optical drive (ie a SATA DVD drive). It cannot see any sort of hard drive, and this includes the SATA RDX drive.

This is definately a feature rather than a fault  as the first ML110 went back under warranty for exactly this problem.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
davidmcs
Occasional Visitor

Im having exactly the same problem Ive got a tandberg RDX drive and its not recognizing it at all. Did you figure out anything on this?

bschu

Just dropped by to necro this old unanswered post. Same results here, SATA ports on the motherboard seem to work for only installed DVD drive. Would love to know why.

sanandreas

Hi there.  Just had same problem with a proliant ML310e gen 8.

There is a HP limitation. They do not support SATA RDX drives. If you look at their supported device list all are USB 3.0. There is a USB 3.0 internal Port on the motherboard.

I just wasted hours trying to work out why this didnt work. Swapped SATA ports, cables, etc. The SATA DVD was picked up, but not the RDX 1000 SATA unit.

I could plug this into our older IBM server and it worked straight away.

Interesting point was during boot up in BIOS I could see the device was being recognised by the SATA controller. Just when you are in the OS, windows 2008 R2 64-bit, it was not being discovered/recognised. In fact  there was no unknown device.

When I tried to change the SATA controller settings,  to go to 2nd SATA controller, not the 120i with the RAID, the system would not boot.

I have asked HP to document this restriction, but alas I know it fell on deaf ears.