New Discussion

Re: ML110 G9: How noisy?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thibault_
Occasional Contributor

ML110 G9: How noisy?

Hello,

I would like to know how noisy would be a ML110 G9 with a E5-1650 v3 and 6 LFF drives?

This server may stand inside an openspace and the noise should be equivalent to clim ventilation and office printers.

thank you.

Thibault

6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Depends on what OS you will be running and whether or not you use the RAID function of the B140i controller.  In RAID mode the system will stay pretty quiet. If you put the controller in AHCI mode the fans will spin faster, not full blowout, but it will be considerably louder.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Thibault_
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your quick answer.

It is good to know that RAID mode is much quieter. I will use the RAID mode, but I have to look better at the specs as I would like 6 SATA drives:

• 2 SSD SATA, RAID 0
  • 4 HDD LFF SATA,  RAID5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Thibault_ wrote:

Thanks for your quick answer.

It is good to know that RAID mode is much quieter. I will use the RAID mode, but I have to look better at the specs as I would like 6 SATA drives:

• 2 SSD SATA, RAID 0
  • 4 HDD LFF SATA,  RAID5

You didn't mention what OS you would be running. 

irridium77
Occasional Visitor

i'm positive that a windows based OS will need alot more calculations: thus extra cooling.

I have 2 Proliants. one running Win server, and one running CentOS linux. 
The linux machine u barely hear. 
The windows machine is just way more demanding. and it needs to be cooled stronger. => more noise

Thibault_
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Thank you for the feedback.

This will be a virtualization station, linux host. Docker and VMs at its menu, so Ubuntu server because of Docker. Of course I expect it to be noisy when used at full computationnal capacity.

THanks all

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@Thibault_ wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.

This will be a virtualization station, linux host. Docker and VMs at its menu, so Ubuntu server because of Docker. Of course I expect it to be noisy when used at full computationnal capacity.

THanks all

There is no continued support for the 'hpdsa' driver for Ubuntu. 'hpdsa' is required to use the RAID function of the B140i controller.  If you run CentOS, you can use the 'hpdsa' driver for Red Hat