108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML110 / ILO100i no input via ssh access to serial console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken Green
Advisor

ML110 / ILO100i no input via ssh access to serial console

I have just bought a pair of ML110s and was hopeing to be able to use them like my DL320/DL380 boxes where I set them up with the console on the virtual serial port.

Following the install guide I can get the BIOS output mirrored to the serial port and see that from my SSH session. I can easily set up Linux to put it's output on the serial port and present a login prompt. But I can't get the system, either at the BIOS level or Linux to accept anything I type. It's just not responding to any input at all.

Is there some other magic setting needed to get input via the virtual serial port to work too?

Do I need a firmware upgrade? I know I had to upgrade the ILO firmware on my DL380G5 to get the virtual serial port to work reliably and not keep loosing characters. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ken

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello, as far as this goes:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/lightsout100i-advanced/index.html

the advanced license should be included and the 'remote console' which I suppose is the feature you're trying to use should be included in all anyway.

I assume console works if you have a keyboard attached to it.
Do you have the same problem if you disconnect the physical keyboard?

Is this the ML110 G6? Should be possible to go through the firmwares for your model and see if there are any updates related to this.
Ken Green
Advisor
Solution

Sorry for the delay in answering, I was away and hints about physical keyboards aren't easy to investigate till you can get to the machine.

> Do you have the same problem if you disconnect the physical keyboard?

Thanks for the hint, its the other way round.

It looks like you need to have a real keyboard (and possibily mouse) plugged in for the ILO to accept any input on the serial port. Wierd, not like the ILOs in my other Proliants. Oh well, I guess I can wire them up through a KVM to make the problem go away.

There is no need to have the advanced license installed. Linux doesn't need a graphical console, I just wanted to be able to use the serial console port via the ILO as I would do on the DL380s.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to get back here and write how it went.

Yes, the iLO remote console for linux is pretty handy.