ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748125 Members
3044 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 Promise Raid controller (S150 SX4)

Eugene van Rooyen_1

ML110 Promise Raid controller (S150 SX4)

I currently have one disk in server, raid is showing JBOD level. I have added second drive, want to create a mirror.
Is it possible to "upgrade" the RAID type from JBOD to RAID1? I know I can delete the raid and create a new one, but I was hoping to do this without losing the data on the current disk. (Especially since it is a system disk as well...)

Any help much appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

JBOD - Just a Bunch of Disks

However,unlike RAID, JBOD drives function individually, thus there is no performance
increase nor any fault tolerance.

http://www.geneve-communes.ch/images/pict/6487.pdf
Page 52

http://www.promise.com/support/file/installguide/1_FT%20S150%20SX4-M%20QSG%20v1.3.pdf
e4services
Honored Contributor

An interesting question. I looked at the controller data and the question I would present to Promise Support is, are a one disk RAID0 and this JBOD selection the same?
I would suggest getting your second disk in hand. remove your existing. put the second in it's place. See if it likes the change on startup. Then try and re-select the type for the array. They may not even allow such a thing.
Otherwise, back up and restore.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

NOTE: On my workstation here, I replace my ATA RAID 1. New controller and new drives. Took one of my drives from the original RAID1 and attached it as a RAID0 single drive, to the new controller, after the new RAID 1 just to have access to the original data. Works fine. I also had attached the original RAID1 drive to the standard IDE controller and THAT works fine.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Eugene van Rooyen_1

Thanks to all of you who replied thus far! I appreciate it; trying to get hold of Promise support for more info...

Bart Van Cutsem
Advisor

JBOD level means nothing more than disk attached and not configured for any raid mode i.e. just a disk. For more than one disk, "just a bunch of disks". When you configure your drive for any raid mode, the controller will write a configuration on the drive, somewhere in the back, and treat it as if it were a little smaller. You lose data. I'm not sure if it will write somewhere in the beginning as well. Wouldn't be surprised.