6101 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 Server won't boot with external sata HD connected

Colin A
Advisor

ML110 Server won't boot with external sata HD connected

This is an old problem here...

My customer uses a couple of external USB drives as backup and swaps them round every other day so he has one off-site...

The server wants to boot from the USB...

In the BIOS, the external drives are not listed in the 'removeable devices' section. They are under the hard drive section and there's NO option to disable. Only option is to re-order them. Which works for a little while and then reverts.

I've got a couple of new servers that have this problem, one of the servers has HP's own RDX320 which is in essence a hard drive in a box and it treats it exacly the same...

From what I understand Server 2008 doesn't support tape drives so you have little or no option but to use and external USB...

Have HP sorted this yet...?, or is there a way round it...?
4 REPLIES 4
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

IIRC there's an option to select the boot priority for USB devices. Set it to low.
Colin A
Advisor

Aha!, thanks for that...

I'll give it a go and report back...
Graham Webb
Occasional Contributor

Hi

I am having the same problem with a ML110 and USB disk backup, can you please let me know if you could find the setting to set USB drives to low priority as mentioned above? I do not have easy access to the bios of the server that I am having the same problem with as it is held at another site.
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

I don't think the ML110 has an utility to edit BIOS settings from the operating system. You'll have to be physically at the machine and change the BIOS settings.