1752777 Members
6420 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 - Unable to install Windows Server 2008

RAStar_1
Occasional Advisor

ML110 - Unable to install Windows Server 2008

I am using the CD provided by HP to select my OS (wink 2k8 enterprise r2). I get to the point where it asks me to enter my OS's dvd, which I do.
It then copys files upto 99% which is where I get the following error message - the wim.xml file was not generated correctly. This may have resulted from a failed file copy of install.wim

Which prevents me from continuing the installation.
Any ideas how I may be able to resolve this issue please?
14 REPLIES 14
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi RaStar,

Looks like an issue with CD.

you may try installation directly from OS CD proving Storage controller driver.

or download and try another HP CD

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Ali
HPE Pro

RAStar_1
Occasional Advisor

When I try direct from the cd I get the error message when copying files - Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070017
Murali_V
HPE Pro

Hi,

This could be issue with the OS media itself, try with different Windows CD. Also, run clear erase utility from SmartStart CD before installation.

Regards,
Murali
Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi RAStar,

In some cases using another DVD ROM has helped, but the above error code is mainly related with corrupted media.

You may use the virtual media / KVM option from ILO to install windows 2008 remotely.

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Marty Us

In addition to verifying the media (you could also try to install in a VM on a different computer), you may want to run a MEMTEST on your server to ensure all the RAM is ok.

I have run into similar file copy errors when installing Windows XP/Windows Server 2003, and the problem was usually bad RAM. It would seem that the Microsoft installer exercises most/all available RAM when installing.
RAStar_1
Occasional Advisor

Progress - I am now able to install from my win 2k8 dvd, seemed it needed cleaning.

However now I need to install the raid controller drivers as it wont detect my HD's upon installation.

I have tried to install the ones from here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3984625&prodNameId=3984626&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-fc7b4e54c0e7433abe2f8801d5

However it said it could not install them and to contact my vendor.

Any ideas please?
Murali_V
HPE Pro

Try to install OS using the Easy Setup CD as mentioned above by Aftab.
Also, please confirm the Generation (G6 / G1... etc) of the ML110 and let me know if you have installed any other storage controllers.
Was this post useful?

Accept or Kudo

HenryV
Occasional Advisor

Hello Everyone  8-3-2011

I am also having this problem. I am attempting to install Windows server 2008 R2 x64 on a DL380 G7 I am using Smartstart 8.70. The installation gets to 99% after inserting the Windows disc and then this message appears. I have tried different Smartstart disc (Brand New) and different Windows disc (Copies). I have used these disc recently on two other servers that did not exhibit this problem. Tomorrow I will install windows without smartstart.

Henry