1752576 Members
4234 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 - Unable to install Windows Server 2008

HenryV
Occasional Advisor

As per this and another forum, YES I had a bad Windows Media. This problem is now resolved with a new copy of the Windows Media. Thanks to all for your support.
JohnBonaccorso

@RAStar_1 wrote:
I am using the CD provided by HP to select my OS (wink 2k8 enterprise r2). I get to the point where it asks me to enter my OS's dvd, which I do.
It then copys files upto 99% which is where I get the following error message - the wim.xml file was not generated correctly. This may have resulted from a failed file copy of install.wim

Which prevents me from continuing the installation.
Any ideas how I may be able to resolve this issue please?

The answer to this is that the HP Array utility does not create the logical drives correctly for the Windows OS.  If you use the Smart Start CD, only create the Array, do not create any logical drives.  Once the Widows installation begins, you will be prompted for which drive to install to.  Create your system drive during this dialog.  You will notice that Windows creates an 80 MB utility partition before the system partition you specified.  This is what was missing by creating the logical drives using the Smart Start CD.  Hope this helps the next person to have this trouble not waste 2 weeks of time trying every single suggestion out there.

JohnBonaccorso

I should clarify the above... After creating the Array, boot once to the OS installation media. Get to the part where it allows you to create drives. Create your system drive, then abort the installation, boot to the Smart Start, choose install, then proceed as you normally would. Do not select Maximum. This will undo what you just did to create the 80 MB utility partition. Select a size the leaves at least 80 MB.
Gali24

But how can i erase the logical drive and still install an OS on it?

I mean..I define the array but still don't have a logical drive.

ttsyganko

For those who get to this thread by searching with Google... I have got four Proliand DL380p Gen8 servers equipped with iLo4 and I got the same "windows cannot install required files" problem while trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 from its ISO image on each of these servers. I tried redownloading, installing from images with and without SP1 and many other tricks - nothing helped, all four showed this error sooner or later.

What did help was running JAVA integrated remote console (Java IRC) instead of .NET intergrated remote console (.NET IRC) I had used originally.