1753973 Members
8220 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110 raid 2k8 server woes

Chris_J_2
Occasional Contributor

ML110 raid 2k8 server woes

I've just bought an ML110 to set up as a virtualisation box. I've tried installing VMWare ESXi but at 44% get an error. I'm working on that in another thread but at the same time I want to try installing Windows 2008 Server Enterprise from my Technet subscription. For speed I've installed an additional 250 GB drive (out of another ML110 bought at the same time) and set them up as a striped raid set using the on board sata. I also have a 1TB disk for storing archives of the VMs.

Booting off the DVD allows me to choose 2k8 options then it shows no destinations for the install with the option of adding a driver. So I downloaded the driver from this site and put it on a usb stick and the drives then show up. I partitioned the striped raid disk 1 to 100GB for the OS leaving the rest for the VMs (seems good practice to separate the OS and the hosted OSes) but as soon as I click next it comes up with the message:
"Windows could not determine if this computer contains a system volume"
and the installation stops.

Any ideas?

Do I need to add more drivers than just the sata controller drivers?

Chris J
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Chris_J

I've that error

"Windows could not determine if this computer contains a system volume""

only when I left my usb connected while server reboots or was power on I mean when the server recognizes the USB during boot process it will take the USB as a partition to install but it won't intall

so what I did was remove USB key and insert only when was needed during graphical interface

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Chris_J_2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answer. Found a similar idea on the ML150 forums last night. Its all installed now.
Chris_J_2
Occasional Contributor

remove USB drive BEFORE clickinig continue after drivers have loaded