3348 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML110G5 and RDX320 Boot Problems

Colin A
Advisor

ML110G5 and RDX320 Boot Problems

Hi, can any one help me with this one..
I have a brand new ML110G5 with a RDX320 USB backup drive attached...
Everytime we reboot the server, it stops as it keeps trying to boot from the USB drive...
I've been into BIOS and changed the boot order, so it won't keep trying to boot from it..., and it seems to work for a few weeks, then forgets the what was setup in BIOS and hangs again..
This is starting to drive me crazy...
Does anyone have any ideas..?
I never have this problem when I attach a normal External USB to one of these type of servers, only the RDX320 which you would think would have been designed not to act as a boot device...
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: ML110G5 and RDX320 Boot Problems

Searched around a little and found this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01752954&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3741006

it mentions a firmware upgrade as a possible solution..
Colin A
Advisor

Excellent!, thanks for that...

I've just downloaded all the latest firmware for the RDX, so fingers crossed...

Think I will also do the server too, just to be sure...

Thanks again...
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Please let us know how it works out =)
Colin A
Advisor

The only way to sort this is to go into the BIOS on the server and change the USB BOOT PRIORITY to LOW...

You can also move the RDX in the BIOS to the REMOVABLE section in the boot devices by using the "n" key...

I think it's getting in to the USB BOOT PROPRITY to LOW that is the key...

I've no idea why HP set this, 95% of people who have a server will never want it to boot from a USB device unless they specifically tell it to..., so why, why, why is it set to HIGH as the default in BIOS....
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe they're messing with you :)
But some servers boot on a USB-drive when they come delivered. For example the D2D or some c-series blades with esxi does that.