1753360 Members
4742 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML110G6 and RDX 160

edoardo murachelli
Occasional Contributor

ML110G6 and RDX 160

Hi, I have a ML110G6 with a backup system RDX160 that works fine. Server is configured with 2 disks in RAID configuration 0+1 (mirroring) and it is parted in two logical disks C: for OS and F: for data. RDX works fine, and it backups C: and F:

Before to do operative the server, I try to simulate a crash disk, I install a single new blank disk, I boot with a Continuous Data Protection Software CD, I reload with out problem all data. After 1 hour server is active. All perfect.

But I have installed only 1 drive, (without RAID configuration), if I install 2 disk,then I configure RAID with F8 at startup, and I try to reload OS and data from RDX cartridge,  Continuous Data Protection Software doesn't see RAID but it see two separated disk, and if I reload on a single disk or on two disk  I see BSOD at boot after reload.

How can  reload RDX cartridge on RAID 0+1?

I don't find any information about this problem.

Have someone a information about this problem.

Many thanks in advance,

Edoardo

5 REPLIES 5
CristianRuiz
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I have another issu with ML110G6, what kind of HDDS do you have? Are they SATA drives? which model number? do you create the RAID configuration using a B110i Controller?

Thanks

edoardo murachelli
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cristian,

the HDD are SATA 250 GB, two drives in RAID 0+1 on B110i controller. Do you have a RDX backup drive?

CristianRuiz
Occasional Visitor

No, I can not help you with that. Sorry

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

B110i is a software-based RAID. Apparently the Continuous Data Protection Software CD does not contain the proprietary hpahcisr driver, but instead uses the generic AHCI SATA driver that can drive the underlying hardware but ignores the RAID configuration metadata.

I have no experience on Continuous Data Protection Software nor RDX, but my first idea would be to disconnect one of the disks for the restore, and then somehow resync the RAID using either the BIOS-level RAID configuration utility (ORCA), SmartStart or something that can recognize the RAID array properly before booting from the restored RAID set.

The most significant issue might be making sure the system understands that the restored disk is in a newer state than the one that has been disconnected during the restore: since the driver on the CDP software CD does not update the metadata, this won't be guaranteed automatically.

MK
edoardo murachelli
Occasional Contributor

This is the same thing that I thought, I chose because I wanted a RDX automatic, continuous backup. I thought it was charging for the software does its job automatically. How do I tell my client that there is a RAID 1 protection, continuous backup protection, but there will be problems for re-loading the operating system and all the data?
This I believe is a big problem for HP, how do I advise the RDX backup system for small servers if I can not re-load the data on the RAID server with ease?
Does it exist a software upgrade to reload data on RAID for HP small server?
I hope yes!!
Best regards, Edoardo