1748205 Members
4455 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 Blue screen with NVGTS.SYS

slipgate
Advisor

ML115 Blue screen with NVGTS.SYS

I installed Windows 2003 adding the drivers at install with a USB floppy. All went well, however, if I try and copy a load of files across, whether through USB, network or local backup, I get a BSOD.

The only clue is the NVGTS.SYS driver error at the bottom of the screen. Another thing I've noticed is that there is an 'unknown device' in the hardware manager. I only say that may be an issue, as a colleague installed the same server, somewhere else, but with nLite to slipstream the RAID drivers. I'm wondering if something was lacking in the USB way of installing it.

I've tried re-installing the drivers and management software a few times, but I still get, now and again, server STOP errors on backup.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Richard
40 REPLIES 40
Tavrez_1
Occasional Advisor

Which program aer you using for the backup?
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hello :)

About USB installation of drivers on Proliant 100-series - forget it. There is a modification that allows only HP-floppies for pointing the raid drivers during istallation.

As far as I see, there are no newer drivers for the ML115. I think it is a good idea to check the exact version of the chipset and to look for newer driver on the nVidia website... Cause this driver seems to be the nvidia sata driver.

Regards,
slipgate
Advisor

I am using Ntbackup for local backups and Attix 5 for remote online backup through the Internet.

But the issue doesn't seem confined to a particular backup, just bulk copying. In fact, it happend again last night, in that case, it was the Nbackup, which is obviously dumping a load of data to the disks!

With regards to the HP USB thing, I was able to install the drivers with a generic USB floppy drive.

I checked on the HP site for updated Nvidia SATA RAID drivers, but looks like they're still on version 1.00 and the Nvidia site itself didn't seem very helpful.

So, I'm not sure what's happening. But as I say, a colleague who used nLite didn't seem to have the same problem, but obviously doesn't help me.

Thanks

Richard
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what you can do is to update the firmwares, since there can be a little incompatibility...

System ROM :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3330535&prodNameId=3412419&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1f66ce50c48644e6874e24e90a

Storage controller ROM :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3330535&prodNameId=3412419&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-82d363aa4fde4ab9852b87fea0

The other related thing is the storport.sys driver from Microsoft which works together with the HP miniport drivers...

Update the windows...just in case did you installed the drivers for the tape and the controller which is connected to it?

Regards,
Pac

slipgate
Advisor

Pac,

I'll give the BIOS update a shot. I've had an issue with a recent HP laptop that had an unstable NIC under XP (Vista was fine) until I updated the BIOS, that apparently was only meant to fix some power issue with the lid shut!?!?!

As for the other one, I only have the built in nVidia/RAID device in use. I have no tape drive connected, just local NTBackups to a USB disk and the online backup.

Thanks

Richard
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard,

really strange issue...
did you try to copy a file to another logical drive if you have one?

Here the newest storport :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941276

Are there any error messages in the windows event logs(system & App)?
You say there is only a message of driver error, no Stopcode...you can check the memory dump(if ther is any).

Did you try with just few files to see if it is from the load on the controller or from the USB HDD/backup software?
The only other thing that I can think of is the legacy USB.1.1/2.0 settings in BIOS, which can be troubleshooted if you can make a local copy(not to the USB HDD)...

I hope that the solution is found soon...

Regards,
Pac

L.B.Versnel

Hello Pac,

Have the same problem:

New server installed. ML115G1.
Configured onboard RAID for disk 1 & 2.
Used F6 driver addition with nvidia driver from support CD by means of USB-floppydrive.
Driver contains nvgts.sys.
Installed W2003 Standard Release 2.
Applied Proliant support pack and all windows updates.

Added 3rd SATA disk (disk(3) for internal backup and storage use.
Installed WDS with distribution share on disk(3). Works fine.
But:
Copying file >approx 600MB from RAID disk or IDE DVDrom to single disk(3) generates blue screen pointing to nvgts.sys , address F724C203 base at 723E000 timestamp 45a82426.
Always. Copying succeeds to approx 50%, then slows down and crashes at 75%.
Copying from DVDrom to RAID disks: no problem.
Ghosting RAID disks to disk(3) no problem.
Uploading .WIM WDS file from client to distribution share (1,2GB!), no problem.
Installing client from WDS distribution share: no problem.

Tried almost everything to solve internal copying problem. Not yet applied storport hotfix. Will try this tomorrow.

is IT the holy grail we're looking for ?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

@slipgate

this can help with the unknown device :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01039306&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I assume you have installed the chipset driver...

@L.B.Versnel
- storport is the only related thing I think of now...hope it helps

Pac

slipgate
Advisor

Thanks Pac. Managed to do the BIOS update, a new one has come out since and just been able to get back on customer site.

I'm gonna just do that first, then try the storport.sys update from MS - don't wanna do to many things at once, won't know what's fixed it.

I tried the HP link for the uknown device, but it didn't exist.

It's nice to know (well not for the other fella) that someone else had the same problem. As I mentioned, a colleague of mine has the same setup, with no issues.

Thanks.