ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752511 Members
4679 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 Blue screen with NVGTS.SYS

bberr

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have seen the nvgts.sys appear whenever our clients ML115 blue screens. I even ran the Windows Debugger tool and it said it was probably caused by nvgts.sys, I noticed the server blue screening when a large amount of data was being written to the HDD. It has happened when I have unzipped a large file, installed an application and even downloading a service pack.
slipgate
Advisor

Sadly, I have not got a resolution to this yet. I checked the server the other day, and it's still happening, but not nearly as frequently as before when I had the Attix backup doing the system state backup.

I've not been able to contact HP, but gonna have a word when I get the chance.
Marlon Marin

There is something that is not clarified in all the situations all of you have.
As far as I know this server has an intergraded NVIDIA controller.
If you the HDDS are directly connected to the system board you are using this particular controller; so my next questions will be if all of you followed the installation instructions of this controller listed on this link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3330535&swItem=MTX-9ba2f79cbbeb4351bfe3e60799&prodNameId=3412419&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1
On the HP.com website this drivers are not listed for the ML115 G5 you have to go to the ML115 server.
If none of you followed this I might think this can be the root cause of all this problems.

Regards
Marlon F Marin
slipgate
Advisor

I've followed that bit already, so I don't think it'll make a difference.

I've just spoken to HP on the phone for about 30 minutes who appeared to be clutching at straws as all that was being suggested was update drivers, which I've done.

They didn't fill me with confidence when he asked me to check the system management, of which it doesn't have one as it's below the 300 range which have the HP PSP - unless someone knows how I can install it on this little box?

He finally rounded off by asking to update the HDs firmware -again, I can't check as I'm remote.

I know it's tough for those guys, but there is clearly a problem and I have an ML110 which was setup identically and works flawlessly.

Oh well, lets see if the firmware fixes anything!
spile1
Trusted Contributor

I am running Windows Home Server which is based on Windows 2003. Although I am not getting BSOD on my ML115 G5 I am getting about one or two nvgts.sys errors in the server logs.
Cultrix

Hi,

I have just put 3 of these servers in for a my customers and in the event log I'm getting:
"The device, \Device\Scsi\nvgts1, did not respond within the timeout period." whenever lots of data is been written/read and it causes the servers to pause for a few seconds.

I get no blue screens though or crashes.
I searched google for NVGTS.SYS and there seems to be lots of NForce users with the same problem, has anyone come up with a solution yet?

Regards
Steve
spile1
Trusted Contributor

I have exactly the same problem with my WHS. Whilst I don't get BSOD I to get server log errors and twice I've had an error asking me to run a disk check. This requires a server reboot but the SNVGTS errors come back - around two per day.
slipgate
Advisor

Well the customer who I look after is moving offices in a couple of weeks. I'll have opportunity for downtime to do the HD firmware upgrades, so I'll report back if that fixes things.
Carl Enigma

Hi all,

we also have a ML115 G5 Server, which has been running fine for a month and the other day BSOD and the same error about NTVGTS.sys and timeout etc. It's alo managed to kill the exhange database, but luckly we were running acronis echo image server. Currently restoring a previous image. Will then try the firmware update for the nforce sata controller and see if that clears the errors. Anyone else got any further with this?
One of the backups was to a usb external device so it would be copying the images files for the server nightly which average size are about 18gb.

Thanks

Carl
Cultrix

Hi,

I still have the same problem and the HP tech guys dont seem to be much help either.

I have 4 of these servers in different offices and all have the same issue.

Steve