5201 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 - Changing fans for quieter ones

Ethos
Occasional Advisor

ML115 - Changing fans for quieter ones

Hi

Anyone done this? I know the server will shutdown if it detects a fan that spins under 1000RPM...

I was looking at something like this for the rear fan (they do a 80mm version too for the CPU fan):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Akasa-AK-FN052-92mm-Smart-4-pin-PWM-Fan-Silicone-Pins_W0QQitemZ300333571065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR?hash=item45ed469bf9

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
u84823
Regular Advisor

I would be cautious about this.

The HP BIOS actively controls the two fans depending on ambient temperature as measured by the thermister on the front under the disk cage.

It seems possible that the BIOS could be regulating speed based on a outside temperature, in which case it would run these at the same speed. Or it may be using a voltage approach in which case the fan RPM's would read too low presumably.

Also those fans are sleeve bearing type, which are greatly inferior to those fitted as standard.

With ambient <25*C the ML115 is pretty quiet anyway. But some rubber fan mounts might be worth a look to reduce hum.
Ethos
Occasional Advisor

ML115 doesn't like this fan, it just shuts down so I assume it's spinning below 1000rpm which is annoying because it's a PWM fan so I'd have hoped it could be controlled.