9863 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML115 Code 12

Johannes Hackl
Occasional Contributor

ML115 Code 12

Hi all,

I upgraded my ML115 1210 Standard Model (2 x 512 MB RAM) with a PCI-e graphic adapater (e-GeForce 8500GT) and a Dual Port PCI-e Nic (Intel Pro 1000PT Dual). I'm running Windows Server 2003 x64 or Windows Server 2003 x86 without any conflicts or problems.
Today I added additional 2 x 2GB Memory Modules and ended up with the "code 12" error in the device manager on the PCI standard PCI-toPCI bridge and additional the display adapter disappeard from the list and the video performnance dropped extremely.
I have the latest available bios and I use the latest available drivers for Windows Server 2003. I removed the 2x512 MB and used only 2x2GB without success. Using only 1x 2GB does not show the problem. Remove of the additional NIC did not help either.
Removing either the additional memory or the PCI-e graphic card solves the problem.
Clear CMOS did dnot help.

Has anybody an idea how to solve the problem?
I cn provide some screendumps or additional system infos.

Thanks in advance

Johannes
5 REPLIES 5
Resolution Gauranteed
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML115 Code 12

Hi Johannes,

This issue occurs when the system may run out of resources because there may be too many PCI buses requesting I/O space, causing certain ports to stop functioning.

Chek the links below for more info
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic27804.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

Or just search in Google for Code 12

Hope this info is usefull if not keep us updated ...
All d best.
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.
Johannes Hackl
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your answer.
I followed the links, but I could not see any help for me. The links in the forum thread are broken or unavailable, and the solution to use a 16MB display adapter does not really help, because that sort of adapter is already on board, and I know this would work. But there are some good reasons to use an external interface.

Regards

Johannes
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Johannes,

Would it help if you disabled the serial port ( if you don't use it) so that you can free up resources for the other devices?
You should be able to do this in the BIOS and then check with the memory installed.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Johannes Hackl
Occasional Contributor

Brian,

thanks for the input, but I already tried to disable the port. I even removed the additional NIC, but always without success. Unfortunately the BIOS does not give me much choice.
I cannot imagine, that though I have inserted only half of the possible memory and half of the available expansion slots (2 PCI slots are still available) the machines resources are on the limit :-(

Nevertheless, thanks and kind regards

Johannes
Johannes Hackl
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I just wanted to give you an update on the subject.
I opened a hardware call but I was told, that my configuration (3rd party memory and pci-e graphics adapter) is totally unsupported ; the pci-e slot is just for raid controllers and not for graphics adapters.
So I decided to get HP branded memory and during my further investigations I found an interesting web page, stating, that I can use "a graphic card of my choice".
http://h50025.www5.hp.com/ENP5/Public/Content.aspx?contentID=22993&portalID=377&pageID=1

I'm still waiting for the memory ...
but already heard, that others have seen the same problems with HP branded memory too ...

Regards
Johannes