ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752790 Members
6412 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML115 G5 Graphics Card Issue

Rosew

Having the same issue with NVidia GeForce 7200GS.
I am able to access up to 2.5GB of RAM using win xp x64 with the graphics card inserted and all the RAM without it.
I was able to run Ubuntu (from live CD) with all the RAM and graphics card, so the problem appears to be a combintation of Windows, graphics card and RAM.
Mick, exactly which OS are you running?
thanks,
Rose
PeteCarr90

I have 4 of these machines, 2 x G5 2 x G1, both types have have this problem. Went from 2.5Gb RAM running an Geforce 8500GT (PCIe) to 8Gb RAM and the system fails to boot the following O/S Windows 2008 x64, Vista x64. The machine point blankly refuses to boot the installation DVDs. It does however run Ubuntu 9.04 with the full video and 8Gb RAM.

Come on HP sort this out I don't want to be stuck with a crippled machine and an expensive stack of RAM I can't use.
OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

Just thought I'd give you an update.

I just took receipt of a new PowerColour ATI 2600Pro graphics card (courtesy of eBay), put that in.. same symptoms Iâ m afraid.

Works with 2Gb of memory (1 x DIMM), doesn't work with 4Gb (2 x DIMMs).

Still waiting on a response from HP and will keep you posted.
PeteCarr90

I've just got off the phone to HP support in the UK, bad news. The 2nd line support engineers have carried out some tests and confirm that the server does not support any graphics card other than the onboard Matrox controller for more that 2.5Gb RAM. They said that as so many people are experiencing this problem they may develop a BIOS update but don't expect anything soon.

I'm off to look for a replacement motherboard that a) fits b) supports a 2,2Ghz Opteron, c) can use 8Gb of unbufffered ECC PC2-6400 and has an x16 PCI-e socket.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Rosew

Thanks for letting us know. Good to know that HP confirmed that.
I've just purchased a PCI graphics card and if that works will get a usb soundcard instead.
Cartul Vargas

First, Thank you for the information.

I have the same problem.
I've got an HP Proliant ML115 G1 with Windows XP Professional SP2.
I was running with 2x2GB RAM and a NVIDIA e-GeForce 8400 GS.
The only way to works the graphics card with the system is using 1x2 GB RAM.

I agree, we need a BIOS update.
OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

All

HP seem to be dragging their heels over this issue, they suggested that if I wanted to complain, then I could contact HP customer support on the following number: 0870 840 6078

As far as I'm concerned, this model of server is faulty and I would like the fault fixed. The fault being the inability to use the full expansion capabilities of the server due to a BIOS fault.

Might I suggest that anyone having the same problem with this server contact HP at the above number to log a complaint.

Alternatively, log a call with HP support ASAP. The emphasis that's placed on this issue via official calls may prompt HP to place some importance into fixing this issue.

Cheers
JustinA_1

I have the same problem and will give them a call. 9GB of RAM successfully installed in an ML150 G5 but it won't recognise the Nvidia Quadro videocard.

Interestingly whilst the card isn't seen by the server I'm able to use its DVI-out, and set the screen resolution within Vista to 1680x1050 - I'm sure thats something the onboard graphics couldn't do.
andelo

Just an update which someone mind find helpful.

I've almost too given up trying to run my ML115 G5 with my BFG NNvidia Geforce 9500GT. Same symptoms as described before, fans spinning but nothing being displayed on the screen (not even the bios). This even happened when I removed some RAM down to a paltry 512MB :(

Was about to return the card today when I remembered I've updated to the most recent bios (2009.04.20) a few weeks ago. I've now downgraded the bios to previous version 2008.05.26 and volla, its working perfectly.

I'm only running it with 2.5GB of RAM, but thats OK for what I want to use it for anyway.
OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

All,

I've upgraded to the latest BIOS and found that the nVidia 8600GTS actually works with 4GB of RAM. It may be worth you doing the same.