5695 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML115 G5 Graphics Card Issue

OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

ML115 G5 Graphics Card Issue

Please help (anyone!!)

I've got an HP Proliant ML115 G5 (dual-core) server and decided that I needed a little oomph in the graphics department as this server (besides being used as a test-server) will be my primary desktop.

I purchased and installed a Gainward 9500GT graphics card into the server, but upon booting into Windows Server 2008, it stalled. I tried using Safe Mode, however it stopped at loading the 'crcdisk.sys' driver.

I also tried re-installing Windows Server from scratch, but that didn't get to the setup screen.

I do have the nVidia RAID bit enabled in the BIOS and have striped 2 disks and I was thinking about disabling this to see if it would help (although it would be a bad thing if I had to disable the RAID to get the graphics working!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23
Sean Trowbridge

Re: ML115 G5 Graphics Card Issue

Using 2008 x64 here. I'm having the same issue with a Radeon HD 3850. My RAID is off. I also noticed that, after unplugging the power to the card (to disable it), I have to boot it to safe mode first before I can get Windows back up again.
Sean Trowbridge

Workaround found for this...

Clue was here:
http://forums.slizone.com/lofiversion/index.php?t25848.html - This guy is using the same chassis but a different video card.

I was running with 4x1GB RAM. I pulled out slots 3A+4A, leaving me with a paltry 2GB of RAM (how will I survive???!?!) and now it boots.
Installing drivers now...successful...
Rebooting...
Works, able to get the display set to the monitor's max resolution and color depth.

Putting the RAM back in does not work.

HP, it's BIOS update time!

For the record, I'm using BIOS O18 05/26/2008
My video card is Radeon HD 3850 512MB.
OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

Ah, I see.. so it definately is a BIOS type issue then. My system is configured with 2 x 2Gb DIMMS.

How do we get HP to look into this? Cross our fingers and hope that they read this thread?
Fuji

I and 20 of my friends also have the extact same problem, let me when you fix it as it is very annoying, espically as i have 8GB of HP RAM

really wish i did not buy this server
Why can not HP fix this problem

I have found also that setting the memory below 2GB solves the problem
James199

AGHRRRRRRRR!!!!

It drive me nuts this problem does, i am like the last person i wish i did not buy this proliant server.

I contacted HP without success, surely HP can solve this problem its not rocket science

someone very frustrated at buying a server in a credit crunch time and not being able to place any quality graphics card.

My advice to HP is please put a decent card in the first place even if this is a server

fingers cross someone will solve this issue

OriginalMitsta
Occasional Advisor

Just to let you know that I've logged a call with HP to see if this can be resolved.

I've been asked to run the Offline Diagnostic Utility and the HPSRPT utility and get back to them with the information. Fingers crossed they'll be able to sort this.
Mick K
Occasional Advisor

My HIS ATI radeon HD2600 pro works fine for me, even updated the driver via windows update.

No issues on 32 bit or 64bit 8gb of ram fitted.
bios 18 (latest version)
Sean Trowbridge

Mick: PCI or PCIe? Mine is PCIe.
Mick K
Occasional Advisor

PCIe, sorry for not stating that.

A side note, the hard drive fitted as standard is really slow, worth fitting a new master drive at least.