1753359 Members
6522 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

ML115 G5 RAID support

Gary Shelton
Occasional Advisor

ML115 G5 RAID support

I just purchased an ML115 G5 to replace a white-box P4 that is used as a low-workload SQL Server. I have a couple of ML115 (G1s, though they weren't called that when I bought them ;) ) machines already, and I discovered that, unlike the previous generation, I cannot set up a RAID 1 mirror to install Windows 2003 on. I put the drivers on my usb floppy key, and it recognizes them without a hitch. The initial installation works great, but once it comes time to reboot, the G5 complains that there is no boot information available for the device (in this case, a RAID 1 volume). I've checked to make sure that the boot order has the correct RAID volume selected, and the first stage of the installation looks like it completes normally.

Any ideas? My machine is using BIOS 018, and the drivers are those provided on the Easy Setup CD (I didn't see any nVidia mediashield drivers on the download site for the G5).
1 REPLY 1
Gary Shelton
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML115 G5 RAID support

Argh - never mind, I figured it out.
I'll post it here, in case anyone else runs across the issue.

Instead of using the 9.51 RAID drivers to do the installation, you need to create your driver 'floppy' with the files from the chipset driver (9.24, I believe) package on the Setup CD. Apply the updated drivers afterwards.