ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML115 G5 and Syba eSATA PCIe card issue

ML115 G5 and Syba eSATA PCIe card issue

I needed an external SATA port for my backup tape drive so I got a Syba PCIe card model SD-SA2PEX-1E1I. My Proliant ML115 G5 server is already running the Nvidia RAID array as a mirror with Windows Server 2003 R2. When I install the card and boot up, the server hangs with a blinking "-". The card has a BIOS but when I try to access it using either the Ctrl+S or F4 that they say to use, it does nothing and proceeds to the next item in the POST which is the Nvidia RAID array BIOS prompt, then the system BIOS prompt, then the boot to a drive hang. I checked my system BIOS and it is still set to boot to the Nvidia array. Somehow the Syba card takes priority over the Nvidia array causing the system to hang looking for a boot partition on the Syba card. I've emailed their support but thought I'd try here too because this is a really good forum and perhaps someone has had the same or similar issue and got it resolved.

What ever happened to plug-and-play??? BTW, the Syba card shows nothing that I can see in the system's BIOS. I only see the Nvidia array. Also, Nvidia's BIOS is still the same. Take the card out and it boots correctly. Put the card in and it hangs. I wouldn't think it could be a driver issue because I can't even get to Windows to load one.
3 REPLIES

Re: ML115 G5 and Syba eSATA PCIe card issue

I was able to install this card in a test server (HP dx2250 PC) with a single SATA hard drive running Windows 2000 Server. Windows booted right up, found new card, installed drivers, and was quickly up with no errors or issues. So now I know the card is not the problem. It's something between Syba and Nvidia refusing to play well with each other or the server itself. Any ideas would be much appreciated. I've been a Compaq and HP only tech guy for over 10-years but I'm starting to wonder about this ProLiant ML115 server. I've had one weird thing after another since I bought this and started trying to get it up and running and I'm thinking it may be due to the Nvidia chipset and/or the motherboard.
mikerpugh
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same issue when installing a eSATA PCI card from Lacie. I noticed that my bios boot option changes to only see my second existing Nvidia RAID array instead of the correct and bootable (SBS2003) RAID Array 1. I think that is why I am getting the "-". Please let me know if you found a solution. Thanks

mikerpugh,

I ended up not using that Syba card and buying an Apevia model eSATA15DP which has 15" cables, 2-SATA plugs to 2-eSATA ports & bracket. It works with no problems. Basically you're just making your internal SATA ports into eSATA via cable and bracket. I bought it at Provantage.com but I'm sure Newegg.com also carry those brackets. I had looked at these first but I wanted to use the card to offload all the processing to it but it just wouldn't work on that server. Works on a regular HP desktop PC with a different manufacture internal RAID adapter with no problems.