6483 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ML115 G5 and loud fan

Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

ML115 G5 and loud fan

All,

I have a ML115 G5 and the server has been fine when booting up i.e. the fan is loud while the bios loads and then drops down to a quite level. I decided to flash the latest bios and after rebooting the server fan is loud all the time it does not drop to a quite level.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Thanks
Msuk
24 REPLIES 24
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I don't have a ML115 to look at, but check the system ROM settings and see if there is a setting to control fan speed.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I already looked and could'nt find anything.

Thanks
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

I have the exact same issue, but have not found a fix yet.
I have tryed restoring the old BIOS version, and running though a CMOS reset procedure.

I am at a loss what to try next
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

My friend had the exact problem, HP replaced his motherboard. I have a call logged with HP with them.

Thanks
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

HP have informed me that it will need to be a Mobo replacement to solve this issue.
I wonder if the new mobo (which is currently out of stock) will come with the latest Bios, and if I dare to attempt another upgrade ?
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Got a call back from HP and they are going to send an engineer out with a replacement board.

Accoding to HP if anyone is having this problem and has a lights-out management card installed there is a new firmware that fixes this fan problem.

Hopefully the new motherboard will fix the problem.

Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

No clue but over the weekend I flashed two of them and now have the same issue. They are replacing a motherboard today, not sure if we'll reflash or not. HP support didn't know a thing as of Saturday.

Note: There is no lights out card in either box and they are identical.
Paul Littleford

Hi,

Same issue decided it was time to update firmware to latest, Fan started as normal then flipped to full speed and does not slow down again. Tried backtracking, ( I miss the proper HP Agent way of doing from the big brothers of these) to no avail, too nosiey to use now. I thought I noticed a flash of something else being updated, but cannot find out what. Making a call to HP now, sounds like another update is needed, replaceing the motherboard is drastic, but if thats whats needed!
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

The Item that gets updated is the BMC.
BMC stands for â Base Management Controllerâ