Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML115 G5 and loud fan

Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

ML115 G5 and loud fan

All,

I have a ML115 G5 and the server has been fine when booting up i.e. the fan is loud while the bios loads and then drops down to a quite level. I decided to flash the latest bios and after rebooting the server fan is loud all the time it does not drop to a quite level.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

Thanks
Msuk
24 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: ML115 G5 and loud fan

I don't have a ML115 to look at, but check the system ROM settings and see if there is a setting to control fan speed.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I already looked and could'nt find anything.

Thanks
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

I have the exact same issue, but have not found a fix yet.
I have tryed restoring the old BIOS version, and running though a CMOS reset procedure.

I am at a loss what to try next
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

My friend had the exact problem, HP replaced his motherboard. I have a call logged with HP with them.

Thanks
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

HP have informed me that it will need to be a Mobo replacement to solve this issue.
I wonder if the new mobo (which is currently out of stock) will come with the latest Bios, and if I dare to attempt another upgrade ?
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Got a call back from HP and they are going to send an engineer out with a replacement board.

Accoding to HP if anyone is having this problem and has a lights-out management card installed there is a new firmware that fixes this fan problem.

Hopefully the new motherboard will fix the problem.

Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

No clue but over the weekend I flashed two of them and now have the same issue. They are replacing a motherboard today, not sure if we'll reflash or not. HP support didn't know a thing as of Saturday.

Note: There is no lights out card in either box and they are identical.
Paul Littleford
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Same issue decided it was time to update firmware to latest, Fan started as normal then flipped to full speed and does not slow down again. Tried backtracking, ( I miss the proper HP Agent way of doing from the big brothers of these) to no avail, too nosiey to use now. I thought I noticed a flash of something else being updated, but cannot find out what. Making a call to HP now, sounds like another update is needed, replaceing the motherboard is drastic, but if thats whats needed!
JamesMoondew
Occasional Advisor

The Item that gets updated is the BMC.
BMC stands for â Base Management Controllerâ
Richard - WireLock.NET
Occasional Visitor

Your not alone.. We have the same problem here, awaiting responce from HP (Case ID : 4602151004).
marcelox
Occasional Visitor

Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

I think I'll flash to the April update and wait for a newer BIOS before trying again. Thankfully these aren't production, I purchased them for testing.
Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

Fixed.

You need to update the ILO firmware as well to 3.11. Note that even though you might not have the add-on card necessary to use ILO the bits are on the motherboard and need to be flashed. I have two quiet servers again running the latest BIOS.

It's under Firmware - Management.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3683705&prodNameId=3683706&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-c003654e6340476b8af81d2f3b

or

http://tinyurl.com/n6ku68
Paul Littleford
Occasional Visitor

Thanks James for the info on BMC.
does this have a seperate rom or is it the same as the BIOS rom?
If seperate could you regress this on its own?
Richard - WireLock.NET
Occasional Visitor

I would just like to verify that Ran Hooper's fix of updating the ILO with the USB RomPaq update has fixed my 'always on full blast' fan issue. I now have two ML115 Servers with Quiet fans again !!! Well found Ran !! Thanks.
Hamish Onewonnine
Occasional Visitor

As has already been stated, flashing the BMC with the ILO code resolves the fans on full blast issue after updating the BIOS to latest level.
BMC went from 3.05 to 3.11 (it takes approx 5 minutes to flash the BMC - don't panic!).
Fans went from full blast to quiet.
Why HP don't mention that this is a co-requisite firmware update, regardless of whether or not ILO is installed or used is lamentable (it has probably cost them a small fortune in unnecessary motherboard replacements - I was about to give them a call for a replacement).
Thanks to All contributors to this thread.
Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

All,

Thank you Ran the ILO firmware from 3.5 to 3.11 fixed the problem my server is once again quite :) I hope someone from HP is reading this thread!

Thanks for the help
Msuk
Richard - WireLock.NET
Occasional Visitor

OFFICIAL HP RESPONCE (same solution as we verified above) Thanks HP for getting back to us.

----------------------------------------
Hello Richard,

Thank you for contacting HP E-Solutions.

This e mail is with reference to the case number: 4602151004.

As I mentioned on the call, please update the firmware for Light-Out 100.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3683705&prodNameId=3683706&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-c003654e6340476b8af81d2f3b

Thanks & Regards,

R Raghavender | Technical Solutions Consultant | HP e-Solutions

Paul Littleford
Occasional Visitor

HI guys,

the good news is it works, done it to both my servers and the fan speed/noise is down to low levels after POST, some extra bits in the BIOS setup too.

Excellant work to all above, Perhaps a memo to the support guys is in order and an update to the web pages.

I can cancel my support call now:

Just thought! I have a ML110 G5 I should update as well, will this have the same issue and resolution?
Daniel Harman
Occasional Visitor

Is there anyway to install this update without a USB key of miniscule size? It won't boot off my 4 gig sandisk cruzer and I really don't see why I should have to buy some ancient small USB key to remedy a problem caused by their poor testing and inability to boot off a modern USB key size.

Extremely irritated as this server is in my home test lab.
Sahalu
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys for all the good work.

My ML150 G6 is still too loud even after the ROMPAQ update. In fact haven't noticed any difference at all.

Wonder how HP would ship something this loud! It is in a home lab and having any quite conversation or making a phone call in the same room as the server is pretty challenging. A Dell machine is also sitting in the room, but you would never know it is on and I have NO over heating problem at all, so I wonder why a fan has to be this loud!

Fortunately the machine is barely two weeks old, so I am shipping it back to HP - that is unless they can fix the problem. Will keep you guys posted if we find a solution.
Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

Daniel,
I used a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer Contour. Worked fine. I think I had to manually put the ROMPAQ on the stick but it formatted and booted correctly.
Ran Hooper
Occasional Advisor

Sahalu,
You did do the ILO firmware too right?
CantoMan
Occasional Visitor

It Works ..  Muchas Gracias x el tip.Thnks a lot! 

Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant ML115 G5\ML150 G5\ML110 G5\DL180 G5\DL120 G5 Lights-Out 100 Remote Management (For USB Key-Media) Firmware 3.11