1751905 Members
5550 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 G5 embedded raid

Kevijn
Occasional Visitor

ML115 G5 embedded raid

I replaced the motherboard and had to renable the embedded controller for raid 1. When enabled the server will not boot. Boots fine into the Win 2003 SMBS server without the raid. How can I get this booting without recreating the raid and doing renistall of OS?
3 REPLIES 3
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

if the server loads the OS with the embedded controller disabled that means that the OS was installed on a single hdd with no raid created, so when you enable the controller it is not going to detect any logical drive configure and will not load any OS, only with the controller disable JBOD. If you want to configure a raid 1 and mirror the existing OS, check the following procedure:

1. If the OS is Installed with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled(No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder.

Embedded SATA Controller Driver:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-295381a9a94e4182a62f7127b5

3. Goto Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.
4. Restart the Server goto BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.
5. Press F8 and goto Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.
6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".
7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.

I hope that helps you,
saiprasad
Occasional Advisor

Hi kelvin

Follow the procedure that gary has suggested
but the driver link that he has provided is incorrect as this server has a nvidia chipset(controller)

use the following link for the driver

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3330535&prodNameId=3412419&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-ef3facb5b10d49c5abe73a96eb
Kevijn
Occasional Visitor

The OS was in fact installed with the embedded controller enabled. After changing the mother board and it being disabled both drives show up with indentical partitions of the OS and data. This is laso proven by NVIDIA controller showing as working properly in device manager. So I don't see how that would get me any further