ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751750 Members
5524 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 G5 old BIOS has screwed my server. Help! Grrr

Trying a different USB key could be a good practice, also one of smaller size if the one you are using is too big (2Gs+)
"ITS NOT ABOUT HOW HARD YOU CAN PUNCH, ITS ABOUT HOW HARD YOU CAN TAKE A PUNCH AND KEEP MOVIN' FORWARD!!!"
Glenn Hudgins
Advisor

T16:
I used the HP online chat tech support and they helped me through an issue with my new ML115 server. There's no language issues like on a phone and it's live. The chat is free since the server is new and under warranty. Go to: http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/customer/HPInstantsupport.aspx?&cc=usтМй=en and then click on "Launch an active chat session". It's worth a try. I know older servers allowed you to pull out the old BIOS chip and replace it which I had to do several years ago with a bad BIOS upgrade I went through. I've noticed newer MBs are hard-wiring everything which makes it a real pain to fix future issues without buying a new MB. Give HP a try and hopefully they'll be able to help you get that puppy back up.
T16
Advisor

Well guys, they sent me a replacement motherboard.

However, it looks second hand. You can see where the mounting holes have had screws tightened on them, the CPU mounting area you can see marks, and on the back of the PCB there is a sticky residue all over it!

Should I complain and ask for a new one? The board revision is also older than the one that came out of the server....

sigh..

What do u guys think?!

Glenn Hudgins
Advisor

T16,

I'd contact HP and tell them that the board they sent was older than the board in the server and see what they say. I don't think that the older used board would necessarily be a problem - it just doesn't hurt to ask. Also I would verify that the warranty on the whole server including the used board will remain unaffected. If you have an extended warranty I would also verify that as well.

The good point is if you are stuck with it, I would think that he older board should be able to be updated via HP's website and as long as your CPU, RAM, and HDs work with the older board, you should be able to get it up and running in no time.