1753788 Members
7693 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML115 G5 shuts down automatically

dougjef
Advisor

ML115 G5 shuts down automatically

I've had a ML115 G5 for a couple years and it stays powered on for about 5 minutes then automatically powers off. I've replaced the power supply and the same behavior occurs. I've even reloaded the operating system. No errors during post or beeps when it powers off either.

It just powers off then goes back to a solid amber light. I can hit the power button and the server powers back on. Any idea of the culprit?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
77drew

Re: ML115 G5 shuts down automatically

Over heating?
Saberus
Valued Contributor

Re: ML115 G5 shuts down automatically

I agree that it may be overheating. Double check that the heatsink on the processor has good contact, you may want to wipe off the old thermal paste and apply some aftermarket, like Arctic Silver. Even no name grey goop will work better if the original paste has dried out. Make sure that the heatsink for the chipset hasn't come loose, either.

Also, run it without the access panel and check the RAM and other components with a thermometer, preferably infrared. Just check and see if anything's reporting ridiculously high temps, it will be hard to check the CPU, but the RAM and chipset should be easy. Also check the PPM/VRM if this model has them.