Hi,

I can not get my e200 to detect any drives

My current system:
- ML115 G5
- HP Smart Array e200/64 409180R-B21
- HP 128MB Battery Backed Write Cache 351580R-B21
- HP SAS/SATA 4 Port Cable 451782-001 http://gallery.me.com/antonyplatt#100174
- 4 x Samsung 1TB

The e200 shows up at boot and it the BIOS but fails to see any disks, I have booted with the ACU CD and the e200 is detected fine but says the I have no physical disks attached.

I have also tried a number of combination's including using a P400 controller but I keep getting the exact same results...

I have also tried it with just a single HP SATA disk the came with the ML115 but it still fails to detect that disk...

I can only but assume that maybe the SAS/SATA cable the I'm using is the problem? I know its not the recommended cable but I dont see why it would not work... I have attached a link to some pictures of the cable above...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
4 REPLIES 4
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: ML115 G5 with Smart Array e200 - Wont detect disks

hi,

the 4x1TB drives are directly from HP ???

because from quick spec ML115g5 :

Maximum Storage Capacity
Internal
SATA
3.0TB (4 x 750GB)
SAS
1.8TB (4x 450GB)

so probably the 1 TB disk are not supported ???

could you test it with smaller disks size ???

mikap
jrmurdoch
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Sorry I didn't really explain that well,

when I said:
I have also tried it with just a single HP SATA disk the came with the ML115 but it still fails to detect that disk...

I should have said:
I have tried it with the single HP SATA 1.5GB/s 160GB disk that came with the ML115

Regards,
John
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

ok so could you please connect the hdd, direct to the raid controller,(dismount the HDD from disk encloser, without using the HDD backplane and bay.

mikap
jrmurdoch
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

When I tested the single HP SATA 160GB disk the setup was as follows:

One port of the SAS/SATA cable was connected to the hard disk, the other 3 SATA ports were unplugged the disk just sitting in the bottom of the case powered buy a Molex to SATA power adapter.

P.S. The e200 does not show up in the POST prompt I assume this is because it thinks there are no disks attached?

As i have tried a P400 card with the exact some problem I'm thinking it might be the cable that is not correct... although its hard to think why the cable would not work if it plugs in...

Regards,
John