1748051 Members
4909 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 memory problems

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

just curious guys are those PCI Cards HP, just because I would like to know if those are HP might be something to pay attention

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Johnathan Moran
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to Joerq, I took the graphics card out and it booted with the 4GB ram. I have a nVidia 8600GT card. I even changed the BIOS settings to enable the graphics card. I really wonder if HP know about this problem.
joerg.klepschmts.de
Occasional Advisor

Will escalate this as a support call to hp later. First i have to check my bios, because the latest bios update yesterday did not work.

I will inform you when there is any solution from hp.

It is good to know, that others have the same problems.

Thanks
Johnathan Moran
Occasional Advisor

What BIOS version are you using?
joerg.klepschmts.de
Occasional Advisor

The last one from 05/26/2008.

Tried to apply it again with windows online tool from 2003 server => destroyed my bios. So be care and apply it only with booting from usb media.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hey joerg.klepsch@mts.de

what about your PCI cards? which brand?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Joerg Klepsch

Have been back from work now and was able to repair my defekt bios. The tip from another guy in the forum worked. The box is able to boot from usb and flash the bios again even with a defekt bios. You just have to wait a couple of minutes.

Lets come back to our main problem.
Here are the card i tested already with a non booting windows (vistax32,vistax64,2003x32,2008x64 all the same):
Even a boot from windows media fails. The strange thing is that in one of 20 attemps i was able to boot even with grafic adapter, but only analog tft not dvi.

1) Geforce 8400GS(and lots of other) x16
2) Adaptek SCSI-Card 29320LE (together with a sound alert later at booting) x1

3) A sitecom silicon image sata controller x1 works in all conditions.

So the conclusion for me is, that we only have problems if dma is used between cards and memory for direct data exchange without the processor.
It would be nice to know if other processor versions makes the same errors. Mine is a athlon 4450.

But all facts say: HP has not testet enough.
I do not want to use a hp server without having any expansion options.

Would be nice to know what HP says. But this server is my private one and so i will need time to escalate this call.

Hope this details help a bit.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Joerg,

If you don't want to lose your time to call HP support and "escalate" the call, I will tell you the answer you will receive :

This graphic card is not supported from HP in the server...and maybe you don't have right - HP tested enough to find out that there will be a problem with the card and not include it in the list of supported options(for ml110 G5) :

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13013_div/13013_div.HTML

From the Proliant 100-series only the DL140 G3 and dl145 g3 have supportd VGA option.

ProLiant servers are not though to be used for multimeadia applications and that's why they have poor video.

Since HP can't test every device from every company, it makes more sense to include in Quickspecs the parts that are supported (and therefore tested), than listing all other as unsupported.

So if the card is not running in the server, it is not HP's fault - it is up to you to check if the server supports it before buying and installing it in the server.
You can however call HP and confirm the same

Gruss,
Blazhev
kass

Hi,

i have the exact same server (g5) & having the same problem. mine will accept upto 2.5gb but nothing more.

i am running server 2008 64bit.

i bought the recommended ecc ram from crucial.

a friend of mine also having the same issue.

weird thing is that i also have a ml115 g1 ( i think) server & that one works fine with 4gb.

i have only the server for about a month. i did not flash the bios as its the same version as the one on the website.

any suggestions?

kass

Jaime Bula

I dont know if this has to do with the KB929777 issue on Vista. Is this a Windows problem or an HP problem...