5269 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML115 wont power on

Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

ML115 wont power on

All,

I have a ML115 server which is not powering up.  When I plug the power cord in the LED at the first would be amber and would switch on.  Now the LED is not showing any colour.  Is there a fuse that needs replacing?  

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Msuk

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

There is no fuse as such, but it could be that power supply itself is bad.

Try to reseat the power connection from PSU to system board.

Try to swap with a known good PSU if have any.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

The problem was a bad capacitor in the power supply.  I have replaced this and the power supply is working :)

Thanks

mcmorj
Visitor

Hello!

I thought a bad cap in the PSU was my issue as well, I replaced a 10v 3300uf which was blooming but the problem remains the same.

I can see the power LED is amber (as it would normally be if powered off) but dimmer that is was previously.

Pressing the power button and nothing at all happens, no fan noise no nothing.

I have tried another power supply and it behaves in exactly the same way so I do not believe a PSU is the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas what to try next or have any experience of something similar?

I have tried all the usual things and nothing has made any difference. All the connectors have been re-seated etc.

It is a QUAD CORE Opteron 2.1 and has worked perfectly for nearly seven years. There is nothing I can see obvious, no burns or strange smells or other thing suspicious on the mother board.

Thanks in anticipation.

Msuk_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the bios? Remove the battery for a few mintues and then put it back in and try switching on.  You could also try removing all the memory strips and switching on to see if you get a error tone.  Then put the memory back in and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

mcmorj
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions but I cannot even get the server to boot. I have tried a BIOS hard reset and also played with removing memory but it just won't do anything.

I was investigating further and with the PSU connected to mains, the capacitor and (I think) transistor immediately adjacent to the 24 pin main motherboard power block gets way too hot to touch. (See attached jpg)

mcmorj
Visitor

Ok mystery solved for me. A replacement motherboard from ebay and I am back in business.

I cannot be sure if the power supply eventually did for the motherboard but having replaced the capacitor in the PSU and installed the new motherboard - all is well.

I have not bothered to try and trace what may have beeen amiss with the faulty board - ┬г20 got me a new MB with an Opteron Quad Core 2.2 thrown in... bargain!