1752777 Members
6067 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G2 BIOS setting

ThomVis
Advisor

ML150 G2 BIOS setting

We have a ML150 G2 we want to use in our office. The system is quiet enough, except for the rear system fan. It's not failed but a bit out of balance, so it resonates. I've tried to replace this fan with a real quiet one, but then the system nags there is no fan connected (there is and even at 1500RPM). I would like to disable monitoring of this fan.
The Monitor screen in the Setup Menu (BIOS) tells me:
"All items on this menu cannot be modified in current mode"
This indicates there is a mode in which you can modify these settings. I've tried the old [Ctrl]+[A], no luck. Can anyone hint me on the magic key combination towards a quiet system?
And all that for just ones and zeros
22 REPLIES 22
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: ML150 G2 BIOS setting

good place to start

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=435422
ThomVis
Advisor

That is where I started. The "HP ProLiant ML150 Generation 2 Server Maintenance and Service Guide" tells me:
"This menu displays the data of the system monitoring. The items in this menu cannot be
modified in the User mode. Consult the system supervisor if any changes are required."
Well, I am the system supervisor. I am in supervisor mode, not user mode when browsing the BIOS, but I still get:
"All items on this menu cannot be modified in current mode"
on the Monitor screen.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

have you tried maintenance switch on sys board..??
hungry
Frequent Advisor

try to install the bios fw 2006.06.30 (A)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=435422&prodNameId=3279685&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-e78cfdab21fb4eb1af9e9364b3
You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period. - Pursuit of Happyness
ThomVis
Advisor

Newest BIOS is installed (2006.06.30, 1.57).

The "HP ProLiant ML150 Generation 2 Server Maintenance and Service Guide" remains very quiet about a maintenance switch. Can you point me to documentation about that?

There are two unidentified jumpers on the motherboard. A 2 pin jumper labeled J32 and a 3 pin jumper labeled J33. But without documentation I am not going to short those.

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Thomvis try page 87

post feedback
goodluck
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

ThomVis
Advisor

Ah, the infamous Clear CMOS jumper.
If left in the Normal position is gives the situation as described. If I leave the jumper off, it's the same. If I put the jumper in Clear CMOS position, the system won't boot (gives 3-3-1 beeps iirc). BIOS is reset though, but still situation as described.
I've tried clearing the CMOS with the fan not attached, but at POST the system still nags the fan isn't there.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm you state when i replace the fan the system complains there is no fan there

how many pins does the old fan connect to are there cables betwen fan and connection

and new fan how many cables and pins does that have

if both have say 3 the wiring can be incompatible so on the new fan cable juggle wires around
and the new fan tried was it same spare part number//