ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753291 Members
5893 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G2 SCSI -> SATA?

rawdr

ML150 G2 SCSI -> SATA?

We have the 6 port hotplug SCSI version of the ML150 G2. Is it possible to purchase parts to make this SATA compatible? i.e. I assume we would just need the backplane and the SATA RAID card used in the other ML150 configs.

Alternatively, if we were to do without the backplane and just use our own SATA card, what trays do I have to purchase to mount the hard drives in the bay?
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

I do not believe there is any provisions for this downgrade. I assume you want to do this because of the lost cost of SATA drives? And yes, with out changing the backolane, there is no connects available for SATA, you would have to cable them in place, removing the backplane and SCSIs from there trays, replace the drives in the trays. Of course you lose the Hot Plug capability.
HP Parts doesn't list any parts to help accept the SATA cabling kit. THere are no baclplanes or hot plug cages (the SATA cage and tray is different than the Universal SCSI you have. Check eBay for parts pulled by someone if you wish to retrofit.
Me, I stick with SCSI. More reliable.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
rawdr

I've been able to find some SATA backplanes, I think, for around $100. And maybe the controller card, it's just hard to know exactly what I'm getting or what I should be getting without part numbers. Then I don't know what kind of cable interfaces the card to the backplane or where to get that.

And even then I can't just buy whatever SATA drives I want because I would have to get trays that fits the cage. Is it a standard size? We only have one hard drive in it, thus one tray. The rest are placeholders.

I am beginning to see it would be easier to stick with SCSI. What's the most economically practical way to do it? Direct from HP, resellers, newer non-HP U320 drives? There are a lot of listings on eBay selling large quantities of the proper HP drives with tray, but they are system-pulls and I don't know how much use they've had.