4906 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G2 iLO100 remote console

Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

ML150 G2 iLO100 remote console

Hi,
I have installed iLO100 into our server. The web and telnet connections work fine, but I don't see any option to access the console of server (i.e. to see the booting process or linux kernel messages).
I have read the iLO100 User's Guide - there is only mentioned to turn on Console Redirection in BIOS. But nothing about how to access that redirected console.
7 REPLIES 7
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Is an IP address already assigned to this iLO100?
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.
Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

Yes - as I said the telnet interface and web interface works OK and I can login to the iLO.
On telnet when I connect I get this prompt:
*** IPCOM ***
login: xxx
Password:
EMS>

Lights-Out 100 Management
Copyright 2000-2005 QLogic Corporation
Copyright 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

/./->

I know some IPMI commands like "show" or "cd", but don't know how to view the server's screen.
When connecting to web interface, I get this prompt and options after login:
QLogic BMC HTTP Server
HP Lights-Out 100 Remote Management

and the options in the left frame are:
Home
Virtual Power
Monitoring Sensors
System Event Log
Virtual Floppy
User Administration
Network settings
IPMI PET Configuration

But there is nothing like show server's remote console (as is on iLO2).
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Since you get an "EMS>" prompt I feel you are using the Microsoft Windows EMS management.

Try this:
Enter BIOS > Advanced Options > EMS Console option. Make sure this is also Enabled.
Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

No, I have Debian Linux on this server. So I suppose EMS should be disabled in BIOS (but have to check that when I will have physical access to the server).
Sangram_1
Regular Advisor

Oh !!

The debian linux is not in the OS supported list so even I am not sure if that would work.

I will try to get some info.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Sangram KVM option or remote console has nothing to with the OS...

ok the point is G2 generation has no option for remote console for severs the 100 lights card does not have that option at all so it's very limited since you can not manage your server remote like check boot process, OS loading...

checkc this

Is there an upgrade to Virtual KVM for my installed, generation 2 ProLiant 100 Series servers?
A1. No. This feature requires new hardware and firmware that are supported only on the newer servers such as the ProLiant 100 series G5 servers, G3 and G4 servers. Previous generation servers are not supported.

source:
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remotemgmt/lightsout100/questionsanswers-g2.html

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Thanks for the link... but the iLO100 Generation 2 says something different - at least this is how I understand it. See chapter "Using the remote console" on page 18. Or is that supposed to work only during POST and in BIOS?

Here is link to the document:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00260543/c00260543.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN