7080 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G2 intial setup from complete format

andrew004
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G2 intial setup from complete format

Hi I am having a similar issue.

A customer of mine recently bought a Proliant ML150 G2, this came totally formatted.

When turning on the machine we just get there is no OS installed,

I downloaded the RAID/SCSI driver to a floppy and booted in to Win2k setup - hitting F6 and installing the driver from disc.

When I go to install win 2K after the driver install, the installer doesnot see any discs. I can see the 2 x 160gb SATA drives have the green lights on the cradle and they are recognised in the bios as RAID 1 array.

Is there something fundamental that I am doing wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
11 REPLIES 11
andrew004
Occasional Advisor

Re: ML150 G2 intial setup from complete format

btw I did not get any resource discs with this server - is that what I am missing?
Pogumirskiy Nikolay
Frequent Advisor

Hi, you may try to integrate driver in installation CD.
1. Download Driverpack Base (http://driverpacks.net/applications/driverpacks-base/8.12.5) and Mass Storage drivers (http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86/mass-storage/9.01)
2. Copy Windows Setup CD to directory on local HDD and integrate drivers for storage controllers (using Nlite or Driverpack base)
3. Create ISO using Nlite and burn it on CD
4. Boot and install without pressing F6 :)
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> I downloaded the RAID/SCSI driver to a floppy and booted in to Win2k setup - hitting F6 and installing the driver from disc.

When I go to install win 2K after the driver install, the installer doesnot see any discs. I can see the 2 x 160gb SATA drives have the green lights on the cradle and they are recognised in the bios as RAID 1 array.
<<<

this should indicate you used the wrong driver in the F6 step.
As you got SATA drives you may need the SATA-RAID not the SCSI-RAID driver.
+ check if it's integrated controler or aditional SATA-controller (different driver).

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3279685&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=435422&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=181#113214
andrew004
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Nikolay and Peter.

I have just created an iso as Nikolay suggested (however I couldnt select the driver pack base after running the install.

I am now going to try Peters suggestion of the SATA Raid Drivers (I just realized you can extract the exe! and add those on to floppy) The SATA RAID card is an add-on but it does have the HP stickers on. There is a card connected to the back of the HDD Bay and a card in a PCI slot.

I will report back with my findings.

Thanks Guys!
andrew004
Occasional Advisor

Ok Peter,

I installed the HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 This did not work. How can I workout what RAID controller I have please?

Thanks

Andrew
andrew004
Occasional Advisor

Nikolay

Using the Nlite version of win2k with the mass stroage drivers - I get the same error 'Setup did not find any drives installed on your computer'

Is there a some sort of controller software I should be running? how do I access these drives in dos - for example what if I wanted to change my RAID array before installing an OS?
Anonymous
Not applicable

During boot it should give you information about this, you can also check in the server itself if there is a seperate HBA in the server that acts as the raid controller, all depends which version of server you have, or do the disks connect directly to the systemboard?
andrew004
Occasional Advisor

Leslie,

It is a seperate HBA I believe. There is a board that is at the back of the HDD enclosure (001.jpg) then SATA cables go from this to a card in a PCI slot.

I am not seeing anything about HDDs in boot.

One thing I did notice in the Bios and boot options it has the list floppy drive, CD-ROM (named) SCSI/SATA: has no name as if it is not recognized or known.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>> then SATA cables go from this to a card in a PCI slot. <<<

Look at this card then...
This is the HBA you need drivers for.
check for any ID board-name part-no etc.

The POST message should also display something lik
"Smartarray xxxx controller initializing....
press F8 to configure"
where you can configure the raidarray and volumes.

this should also present the necessary information