ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753504 Members
4686 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150-G2 motherboard started single beeping continuously

Grant Leclerc

ML150-G2 motherboard started single beeping continuously

Windows 2003 Small Business Server... latest updates. Motherboard started beeping continuously late last week. No EVENT LOG info in Windows, nor errors. Booting in BIOS does not show issues. Suspect power supply/fans. Video? Memory? System appears to be functional. No HP system mgmt software is installed on server... does something come pre-installed on server or need to be downloaded and installed to understand this beeping?

ANY IDEAS as to how to confirm why single beeps repeatedly and resolve?

Thanks... grant
4 REPLIES 4
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Re: ML150-G2 motherboard started single beeping continuously

Hi,
Please confirm the beeps are coming from System Board or from any add on storage controller.
Please check which storage controller is installed, Check if any option is there in its BIOS to disable its alarm sound

Hope that will help
Tarun

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Hi Grant Leclerc

did you try reseating components?
Processor, memory modules, PCI cards?
Amber led in the system board?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Are the beeps beginning after a controller or other component initialisation?

First be sure the beeps are coming from the server(not the environment:)- i've heard such issues with sensors).
With latest updates you probably mean Firmware...

1. Try minimal configuration(only 1 DIMM in slot 1 and no PCI cards)
2. Clear NVRAM
3. Switch CPU's or leave only 1

Beeps are normally connected with memory, but can be everything...
How many beeps, long or short?
There is no management software for the 100 series. Other thing you can try is Offline Diagnostics, but I'm quite sure it will show no errors...

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22085.html

Regards.

Grant Leclerc

A few updates... thanks all for your input!

Single beeps start beeping once the OS has initialized and is running... you can remotely access the server at this time. However, the server may still be initializing some devices like the internal DAT tape drive.

Beeps are indeed coming from the motherboard speaker... I even placed a piece of scotch tape over it to dull the sound.

Beeps occur about every three seconds.
They stop when the server is in the process of shutting down.

The keyboard and mouse are USB-based and can be disconnected or connected... problemstill occurs (not key pressed on keyboard).

For the above reasons, I thought it might be a power supply issue... drawing too much power. There is only ONE CPU. I will try re-seating the memory and modules. I had checked cables. Strangely, this is a new problem with no recent changes to the server...