Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML150 G3 and RAID 5 (P400)

SOLVED
Go to solution
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G3 and RAID 5 (P400)

I am in the process of migrating to an ML150 G3 server and need to create 1TB RAID 5 array. So I purchased the P400 RAID controller to go with the five 250GB Hard Disks I have. Unfortunately I have realised that the P400 is not supported on the M150 and I can not get it to recognise any drives or get to ORCA.

Has anyone had similar experience/solution or can anyone recommend a good RAID card which will work (E200 doesn't support RAID 5)

Thanks,

Jon
23 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: ML150 G3 and RAID 5 (P400)

ML150 G3 supports SmartArray E200, and SmartArray E200 supports RAID 5 if you purchase the optional BBWC.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12527_div/12527_div.html
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Thanks,

Yep I missed the BBWC option for RAID 5.

Unless anyone knows how to get the P400/512MB working (which I have bought) then I will go and purchase the E200/128.

Jon
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

P400 SAS controller is not supported on ML150 G3 server.

Please check the worldwide quick specs for this server
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12527_div/12527_div.html
e4services
Honored Contributor

OK. I have to ask.
WHY?
What would keep the P400 from working? You use the word 'supported', what happens? Or is it that there is no PCIe slot in the G3? Well, now you made me look I was so interested, and though there seems to be no document I could find that detail what the G3 has (the User Guide does not mention what the slots are), it does not look like it has a 64bit PCIe slot to actually accept the card.
Is that correct? If so, you would need an older PCI RAID card that supports, I am guessing here because of the 250GB, SATA
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Well, ML150 G3 has:

3 x PCI-X (64-bit/100MHz)
2 x PCI-Express (x4\x8)
1 x PCI (32-bit/33MHz)

So physically you could fit almost any disk controller, the problem is what's supported and what's not.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes

it's right that server has this

2 x PCI-Express (x4\x8)

so e200 is x4 and p400 is x8 so p400 fits but "No Probs" says server does not detect HDDs weird jeje

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

yes is it weird.

I have the P400 card in the PCIe 8x slot and the server (BIOS ans OS) recognises the card just fine but never presents the option "to press F8 for ORCA/BIOS)". Similarly from the OS Array Utility recognises the card but not the disks attached.

Whilst I accept that purchasing the P400 was an error on my part I am use to Unsupported meaning it works but.... Eg the Dell PCI-X Raid card I have in another HP server works fine but I wouldn't call HP for support on it.

With the above problem I initially thought the RAID card was faulty so I replaced but I have the same issue with the 2nd card.

If anyone knows a workaround or why HP would stop you from using a better RAID card in a server then I would keen to know.

Jon
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

mmm I'm just guessing something in BIOS to enable RAID that maybe once enabled shows the F8 option so check BIOS

regards
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Karlo,

Thanks - I tried quite a few different BIOS options eg disable embedded RAID but had no success :(

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well at this point I would say some things are not supported by HP but work (memory, some PCI cards) but definitely this is not included

regards
e4services
Honored Contributor

THanks for the reply and info No Probs.
So are you telling me you never see the BIOS from the card loading in at boot? (that is when the 'Press F key to enter BIOS' would appear). If so, This means the server BIOS is not allowing the BIOS to load OR the card itself thinks there are no drives attached and is not loading (for if no compatible devices are attached the BIOS will not load also).
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Looking at the G3's User Manual, I see some note about 'if you have a hot plug backplane' you need a 347786-B21 controller to support the hot pluggability, if that is a word. I now wonder if it is not the backplane that is the problem, because again, what you describe sounds like the controllers act when there are no devices attached, their BIOS will simply not load.
Try attaching a device directly to the card, cabling the drive to the card out of the backplane and see if the problem goes away
Hot Swap Hard Drives
mlaffert
Occasional Visitor

Just installed a P400 on a home built Asus Maximus Formula SE.

I have a nightmare getting this thing to work. Specifically the same issue you had. Comes up and tries to detect drives and then just carries on without any ORCA option.

What I did was make sure I had a PS/2 keyboard (used a USB-PS/2 convertor) and kept hitting F8 as it was doing its initialisation. I also interspersed the F8s with CTRL-Break (i.e. the old clear-keyboard-buffer combo).

Eventually it jumped into ORCA. I configured a logical drive and now whenever it boots I get a "press F8 to enter ORCA" prompt.

Hope this helps.
Martin.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

woa mlaffert

that was ingenious yes definitely

No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I have been away for the festivities so this is the first chance to try.

Unfortunately I still have no success.

1) Tried directly attaching HD to P400 (ie missing out back plane)

2) Tried the repeated F8 and CTRL-Break (abput 6 boots)

I am going to try Martin's suggestion on a std PC containing the P400 and see if I can get to ORCA

I will let you know the resukt.

Thanks,

Jon
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Ok tried Martin's suggestion on a basic PC (though we don't have any with PS/2 connections) and unfortunately it did not work.

I think I will be selling this brand new P400 on Ebay...

Regards,

Jonathon
e4services
Honored Contributor

Good idea Jon. I can not believe that HP sells such a device that has built in incompatibility. They never cease to amaze me with this stuff. I thought it was behind them, but then this new 100 series comes out. Junk. Might as well build your own.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
mlaffert
Occasional Visitor

Well my saga contines,

still getting the nice ORCA prompt but the bu88er wont boot. I mean nothing in the machine will boot, not HD, CD, not P400, nothing. I take out the damn card and it boots off cd fine. Put it back in and ---- deathly hallows.

I feel Ebay coming.

M.
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Martin,

I just don't understand HP on this one and I have the lost the will to keep trying. I will buy another card - I may go for an independent (3ware, LSI, adaptec) rather than risk another HP one that doesn't work in general servers.

Looking at ebay I can see you have already done the same.

Jon
ben0
Occasional Visitor

Hi guys,

I just acquired a P400 SAS Controller and some drives. I had the same problem as you guys, put the controller in, connected drives, P400 bios would load and mention that I needed to enter the array configuration but wouldn't display the F8 option, tried the F8 then Ctrl Break, nothing would work. I noticed that my FW on the card was 4.06, so I upgraded to 4.12 and everything works fine now, I now get the f8 option, ORCA works fine.

Hope it works for you.
No Probs
Occasional Advisor

Ben,

Thanks for that just upgraded P400 firmware to 4.12(B) but no joy :(

Can you pls advise me what BIOS version you are using and what BIOS options you have set for on-board SATA RAID. I would like to emulate your set-up to see if I can get it working. Just thinking how are you connecting the drives to the card - via backplane?

Thanks,

Jon
ben0
Occasional Visitor

Hi Jon,

Sorry I'm so late in replying!
Im using this card on a EVGA 680i motherboard. The card works with the onboard SATA enabled or disabled.

I updated the bios to 4.12 through Windows and it worked on next reboot straight away.

I have my drives attached through an SFF-8484 TO SFF-8482 cables, I currently only have one drive attached.

I get some help from a guy on hardware central forums:
http://63.236.73.177/showthread.php?t=176103&page=2

Let us know if you need anymore info.

Thanks.
Scott mC
Occasional Visitor

A bit late, just stumbled across this. If you disconnect a drive so you only have 4 - does the p400 pick the drives up??

"NOTE: Information below pertains to SATA configuration:
- In BIOS revisions prior to 11/03/2006, the default configuration for SATA models will not recognize when more than four drives are installed while running Microsoft Windows operating system. To recognize all six drives, AHCI mode has to be enabled and SATA AHCI driver installed. For further information on how to enable AHCI mode, please refer to the RTF card that is shipped with the server or posted on http://www.hp.com.
- When configuring RAID using the embedded SATA RAID controller, two arrays have to be set up to recognize all six drives."