Re: ML150 G3 dual CPU does not boot

Jerry S

ML150 G3 dual CPU does not boot

I upgraded a ML150 G3 from a 5120 CPU to a
E5345 after updateing the bios to the latest
2007.09.22(A) version. It will boot with one
E5345 installed but when I add the second
E5345 the fans just run at high speed and
will not boot or post. Monitor stays blank.
Both of the CPU's will boot fine when put in
the first socket but not with both installed.
They are the same CPU's E5345 and the service
manual says dual E5345's are supported. I
tried resetting the BIOS but nothing
different.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Claude Poulin

We had the same thing , we resolved it by Flashing the Bios to the latest one.
Jerry S

Thanks for your reply Claude.

I did that - updated BIOS to 2007.09.22.
Which BIOS version are you using?

Did you change any BIOS setting with one CPU
installed and then installed the second?

Which CPU's did you get to work? I'm using
the E5345.

System_Headache
Advisor

Hello Everyone,

I know this post is really old and I have a 0.78% feeling this will help but let us try it...

Just recently I was all happy having purchased same model CPU [Xeon 5130 2.0Ghz] and HEATSINK but after properly and quatripely checking the specs even before starting all this... once I powered on the computer... right away the CPU1 LED (on the motherboard) quickly turns RED and turns off but nothing showing afterwards and the fan keeps going and going loudly with no display, just the bloody noise from the fan which drives me nuts.

I even removed the second CPU that I've added, removed all other cards , reset the BIOS, press the reset too (removed the battery too) but NOTHING. It is as if the computer is no longer responding and that I've wasted money into it.

Does it required 8GB (all 4 slots) to have memory or something because I am freaking out here because I've lost a significant amount of money and now nothing is working. I've upgraded PowerEdges to other HP servers and this is the first!

I cannot get the lastest BIOS since this HP ML150 G3 was given to me so I have no access to it even with the generic account created, even if I could get the BIOS... cannot do anything... everything seems dead!!!

I've attached two documents, one it shows the CPU's 5130 and the area in which they go into. Nothing shows damage but yet... that CR2 LED turns on RED quickly and I've even tried just runing from CPU2 only by removing CPU1 and still the CR2 would turn on and quickly off.

I think the motherboard just couldn't heandly it or someting so I got a tested refurbished one since I cannot deal with this problem.

Does it need a VRM and/or a PPM?!?!

I need help, someone!
(Did I miss something?)

System_Headache
Advisor

Hello Everyone,

I know this post is really old and I have a 0.78% feeling this will help but let us try it...

Just recently I was all happy having purchased same model CPU [Xeon 5130 2.0Ghz] and HEATSINK but after properly and quatripely checking the specs even before starting all this... once I powered on the computer... right away the CPU1 LED (on the motherboard) quickly turns RED and turns off but nothing showing afterwards and the fan keeps going and going loudly with no display, just the bloody noise from the fan which drives me nuts.

I even removed the second CPU that I've added, removed all other cards , reset the BIOS, press the reset too (removed the battery too) but NOTHING. It is as if the computer is no longer responding and that I've wasted money into it.

Does it required 8GB (all 4 slots) to have memory or something because I am freaking out here because I've lost a significant amount of money and now nothing is working. I've upgraded PowerEdges to other HP servers and this is the first!

I cannot get the lastest BIOS since this HP ML150 G3 was given to me so I have no access to it even with the generic account created, even if I could get the BIOS... cannot do anything... everything seems dead!!!

I've attached two documents, one it shows the CPU's 5130 and the area in which they go into. Nothing shows damage but yet... that CR2 LED turns on RED quickly and I've even tried just runing from CPU2 only by removing CPU1 and still the CR2 would turn on and quickly off.

I think the motherboard just couldn't heandly it or someting so I got a tested refurbished one since I cannot deal with this problem.

Does it need a VRM and/or a PPM?!?!

I need help, someone!
(Did I miss something?)

System_Headache
Advisor

Hello,

Got my second 5130 CPU which isn't defective but without the ability to download the latest BIOS from HP without a contract or transfer of an existant service... the option to download the latest BIOS remains locked and impossible to download.

If anyone can provide me with the latest version, that would be great.

Anyhow... so I instead the 2nd CPU which triggered the ember CPU1 LED to turn quickly red and now I end up with NO POST SCREEN and the fans keep spinning loudly and fast none stop and nothing on the screen at all.

I've reset the BIOS by pressing the BIOS button but without any results at all. I revert back to the original CPU and removed the second one but same thing.

I got another motherboard with eBay and called HP but they would only get me support and new BIOS if i get the contract onsite support so HP technician brings a motherboard and the latest BIOS. Yeah right... like I have cash growing on trees you know.

Anyhow, any help or support would be much appreacite it.

Thank you!
AlexDBall
Occasional Advisor

I also have this issue with one of my two ML150 G3's.

For the first system a server i bought back in 2007, I ordered a matched pair of E5335 Cpus (SLAEK sSpec) and 16GB (4x4GB) PC2-5300F off eBay and installed them in my first server. With latest bios update (managed to update the bios before the warranty/support requirement nonsense). The server booted up fine, recognizing all 8 cores from both CPUs and all of the 16GB of RAM.

On the second system however, which was given to me recently from a friend that had it at his company and was decommissioned due to server upgrades, I wasn't so lucky.

I ordered the exact hardware configuration as the first server (2 x E5335 CPU's & 16GB of RAM). The ram was recognised as should, but the CPUs would only work if only ONE was installed (no matter which socket but only one).

I swapped the CPUs from the first server with the same results. The second server would only run with one E5335 and the first server would boot with both installed.

With 2x 5150 dual core CPUs however, the second server boots just fine.

The only thing different on these two servers, is that the first one that works with the 2 x Quads, on the motherboard's top left corner there is a chip that has a sticker on it with "Version : 2.11" printed on it.

On the other server, that chip has "Version 2.02" printed on it.

As I am certain that this is the issue, i am considering ordering an additional motherboard with that version of "chip" to test it.

Will post as soon as I have an update.

Regards,

AlexDBall

System_Headache
Advisor

I had to find this the hardway, you need the BIOS 2008.10.27

My original motherboard wouldn't boot with my 2x Xeon 5130 (NO POST SCREEN)

Purchased another from eBay under 40USD and you can buy it with 1x old CPU already on it.

Needless to say I removed it and installed the other ones.

Booted with the old CPU that came with it and flashed it with 2008.10.27

Once done I turned it off, installed 2x Xeon 5130 and it WORKED!!!!

Yeah... it really shocked me that it worked while HP was offering On-Site Tech with contract (expensive!)

Seriously... some time I wonder if HP cares that we are trying to re-use good things.

I should stick with Dell's because their system take any hardware like a real PC should.

Hope this helps out and updated the BIOS to 2008.10.27

AlexDBall
Occasional Advisor

Glad to hear that you got it resolved.

I removed the mainboard from the server last night, just to have the case ready when the new one arrives and i noticed that the part number of the mainboard is : 410426-001 which is the first revision.

According to the spare parts list (http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00751484&sp4ts.oid=89018) , this mainboard's description is "System board (used no eariler Dual-Core only processor systems)" , while the one i ordered, and the one i have in my other system are P/N: 436718-001 which is the "new" version that supports newer CPUs.

The first revision boards will not support dual quads (at least the 5335 i have) whatever the BIOS version.. I updated the BIOS to the latest (2008.10.27) and the lights-Out 100 Remote Management (2.12) and still the issue remains.

So, yes.. you need the latest BIOS version, but will only work with the newer boards..

I don't think they care actually.. what's in it for them? ;)

System_Headache
Advisor

Hello AlexDBall,

Hopefully once you get your motherboard, that your lights-Out 100 Remote Management works properly. By the way... I was reading a bit about this Remote Management and is it really worth it? I see that you can purchase additional software for it to do x, y, z things which I am really ok just using remote desktop connection on it.

Let me know your thoughts on that as I am not 100% sure if I want to use it and I am 100% sure NOT wanting to spend more money on these Horrible Products... get it... H.P. ha ha ha

You know something, I am a PC lover and I do not like to use MAC's but then there is HP which took a whole new level of disliking. Sure it is nice to have the correct parts to create awesome stability and compatibilty but by the power of greyskull... HELP US instead of asking for money all the bloody time.

Thanks again for the group support the non-HP people :)

Good day!