1752579 Members
4066 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 embedded SATA Raid problem

J. Muurling
Advisor

ML150 G3 embedded SATA Raid problem

When building a mirror using the HP embedded SATA Raid controler the system restarts when it reaches 15-20% during the build. This is
already the second server with the same problem.
What might be wrong here?
44 REPLIES 44
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

2003 or 2003 SP1 ?
OS ?
Nick Arkas

This behaviour happens when you enable the SATA RAID BIOS. Building or not building a RAID is incidental. Try leaving the RAID BIOS screen open at any of the menus. You will find the server will reboot itself after a few minutes.

This is happenning on 3 separate ML150G3 boxes we have here, consequently delaying 3 network upgrades for various clients.

We have logged the call with HP and awaiting their engineers to advise something more than the usual fare of disable this, disconnect that etc.

It happens whether or not you have a SCSI card installed, any hard disks plugged in or out, changed the amount of RAM etc.

A firmware update is required to sort this.
J. Muurling
Advisor

Hi all,
thanks for the replies. I have logged a call at HP and they are investigating now.

I managed to find a workaround myself. Instead of using the build option I used the clear option. During the clear action it finished until 100%. The disadvantage is that you loose everything which is on your disks.

So we have to wait for HP for a solution I guess.
J. Muurling
Advisor

Anyone else having this problem because HP has got problems to find the issue?
Alan Wyatt-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I purchased a ML150 G3 yesterday and I too have the same problem as quoted. I have tried creating a RAID1 mirror array and during the build the server restarts. Incidentally, I have also tried the clear option mentioned above and this does not work. I am also trying to work out how to install the SATA whilst installing SBS 2003 R2 as there is no internal floppy drive on this server and the SBS2003 install is looking for drive A: from other posts it seems like I have to purchase a USB floppy, surely not!
Alan Wyatt-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Just to say I agree with the earlier posting. Simply leaving the server at the SATA config screen results in a reset a few minutes later. Let's hope there is a BIOS fix shortly.
J. Muurling
Advisor

Hi Alan,
I have escalated the call at HP. When there is a solution I will keep you informed.
I would like to suggest that you also create a call at HP and reference to my call (CASE_ID_NUM: 1212435040)
Alan Wyatt-Jones
Occasional Advisor

Hi again,

I spoke with HP support yesterday afternoon - are they in India? - very little help I am afraid. I need to speak with someone who can acknowledge the problem and actively do something about sorting it out. I am expecting a return call tomorrow. HP Case number is 1212558061 and I will reference it to yours.

Anyone has any update, please post it a.s.a.p

Regards,

Alan Wyatt-Jones.
J. Muurling
Advisor

Hi Alan,

I spoke with people from Ireland, but I will keep you updated.