5050 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ML150 G3: kernel panic installing RH Linux

Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

ML150 G3: kernel panic installing RH Linux

Hello!

We have purchased one Proliant ML150 G3 server with 4 SATA HDD and embedded SATA RAID for our customer.

We need to install RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 x86_64. Installation halts immediatly while initial linux kernel booting from CD. The diagnosics are "Kernel panic - not syncing: nmi watchdog. Badness in panic at kernel/panic.c 110" folowed by a stack trace.

All BIOS watchdog settings are disabled.

I tried to use 64 bit RHEL 4 Update 3 and Update 4 distrs with the same effect.

RHEL 4 Update 4 32 bit starts fine but we need 64 bit version!

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML150 G3: kernel panic installing RH Linux

I updated the BIOS to 02/06/2007 date.

No effect
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Problem solved - it need to turn off 8042 controller emulation in BIOS setup (on by default).

Action is totally undocumented. I'm surprized :-E
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Closed

Hi Ivan,

When you say this:
Problem solved - it need to turn off 8042 controller emulation in BIOS setup (on by default).

What do you mean exactly? I having that panic as well and don't know how to fix it.

Thanks.
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Hello!

You need to enter ROM BIOS setup (press F9 while server startup) and find the configuration option looks like "8042 emulation" which is on by default. Please set this option to off.

Regards, Ivan Kuznetsov

Ok, I will try it.

Only one more doubt... What's that controller meant for?. It's strange it is set to on, isn't it?

Thanks a lot
Ivan Kuznetsov
Frequent Advisor

Hello!

"Intel 8042" is a single-chip microcontroller which was used as a system controller in IBM PC/AT (with 286 processor) long time ago. It was used for control keyboard/mouse, interrupt controller and some other system board hardware. Of course modern computers (and ~10 yeras old PCs too) does not have real i8042 chip, but hardware emulates some function of it for compatibility.

Why this emulation produces such an effect for 64bit Linux kernel I dont'know. It is better to ask Proliant system board designers. It looks strange for me but eliminates the error

Regards,Ivan Kuznetsov

Yes, you are right. I've been researching about it, and I've found the same info you say here.

I will try it as soon as possible.

Thanks again!!