ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748198 Members
2676 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 memory upgrade issue

Kurt Patel

ML150 G3 memory upgrade issue

I have 4 2GB modules that I bought from CDW, they are all same crucial FB-DIMM ECC modules. I tried them in 2 ML150s, both only register 4GB in bios. I upgraded bios to the latest version, tested each module separately, works fine. I plugged in 4 1GB modules to test the dimms, they register 4GB. ML150 supports 8GB max but can't seem to get it with crucial memory even though crucial part number lists compatibility with ML150. Do i have to buy overpriced HP memory kits to get full 8GB? I ran SIW to see the memory and it shows all slots occupied with 2GB sticks. its just that bios doesn't see it so win server 2003 doesn't see it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what is the part number for the memory modules? all of them have the same number?

so neither BIOS and W2003 are reporting 8 GB right?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Kurt Patel

Thanks for reply. Crucial part# on each dimm is CT25672AF667. They are part of crucial part#CT578929 with is 2GBx2 kit. Yes neither bios nor win server 2003 x64 see full 8GB, both see only 4GB. I even went as far as installing win server 2008 x64 to see if it would work but didn't work. I'm not sure what else to try. Thanks for your help though.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Kurt,

They should be OK if they are direct equivalents to the HP models.

The 4Gb HP kit (2 X 2Gb dimms) is HP Option part number 397413-B21. Check with Crucial that what you bought is equivalent to this.

I have attached the ML150 G3 memory configuration guidelines to this reply.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Kurt Patel

Thanks Brian. Yeah i made sure that this crucial kit will work with ML150g3. At first I assumed that it was the server so I tried it on a different server and same results. I'm just curious if anyone is using 8gb memory config on ml150 before I try fork out $1000 for HP memory. All I'm going to be using it for is a Lab VM server.
Resolution Gauranteed
Frequent Advisor

Hi Kurt,

As per the server specs it would support dimms upto 8GB however we need to check for things below

1)HP Server would support only HP Dimms so if they are non HP tell ASP to replace them with HP Dimms so if its 2GB then the option part number should be 397411-B21
2)Also go through the link below
a-http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12527_div/12527_div.html#Memory
b-http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00714240/c00714240.pdf
3)Also let us know how many processors are installed if it is 2 or 1 and check if full dimm is detected when u have only one proc installed.

Hope this info is usefull and keep us updated..

All d best ...
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.
OlivierLR
Occasional Advisor
Kurt Patel

I want to thank all of you for your help. After troubleshooting some more with different memory and configs, found that one of the 4Gb kits didn't play well with other memory in other slots. It only recognizes 4GB with sticks in Dimm1 and Dimm2. If there is any other memory in any other dimms, it doesn't recognize. I was able to get 6GB in my server using the good 4GB kit and another 2GB kit. It will do for now. Thank you all.