Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ML150 G3 only beeps after power outage

Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

ML150 G3 only beeps after power outage

Hi,
We have ML150 G3 server with 1 processor and 2x512 MB RAM, 2 hotplug SATA disks and no other add-on cards installed. There was a power outage tonight and after that the server is unable to boot. No video output and just 7 short beeps. We tried to re-seat the memory, but it didn't help. I have googled that 7 beeps could mean video card failure, unfortunately we had only AGP cards available (and there is no AGP slot). But as the motherboard has video card embedded, could it be motherboard issue? And if only the video chip is faulty, would it work with add-on video card?

Thanks
2 REPLIES
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: ML150 G3 only beeps after power outage

Sounds bad. If you had no UPS protectio in front of the server power, something obviously was damaged with the surge. Could be the power supply in the server or yes, the systemboard. I would not suspect only the Video portion of the systemboard would have been effected, but who knows.
As for adding a PCI video, yes that will take over fromt he onboard, if you can still find a PCI video card. We have used in the past an Nvidia 4000 card that was PCI, but you will have to do a current search for what is out there still
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Marek Podmaka
Frequent Advisor

Re: ML150 G3 only beeps after power outage

Later I have found out that we still have valid warranty with HP (I didn't know standard warranty is 13 months). Technician tried to replace motherboard, but I didn't help. Finally he has found out that memory was faulty.
There is UPS installed, but they were preparing new server room and somehow broke the connection between UPS and servers...