108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 power supply

SOLVED
Go to solution
JeffreyD
Occasional Contributor

ML150 G3 power supply

Can't find any documentation to explain this. Our ML150 is down, powered off. When I push the power button on the front panel, the HDD LED will light, but only as long as the button is held in. The Power LED will not light at all. No fans, no drives spin, no nothing. Just a bright HDD LED.

Time to replace the power supply, right?
7 REPLIES 7
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

hmm ok jeff remove every thing from the server drives min mem too be used ,and remove extra cables to get server to boot

if same issue clear nv ram there is a jumper

below is the maintenance guide for this server
this doc should get you on the way

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00714207/c00714207.pdf

enjoy :)

This is how we thank each other in the forum
its for all who contribute in assisting

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

You must be logged into the forum to assign points.

If you are logged in then all of the responses will have a "Points" window at the top right. Enter the points here.

When you have assigned all of the points, THEN click on "assign points"
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Mark got some good tips there, check out the led at the back of the PSU.. maybe that could give you some hints.
JeffreyD
Occasional Contributor

No LED lit on the back when plugged in.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
generally it look like bad PSU.

Jan
JeffreyD
Occasional Contributor

We had ordered a new power supply and were waiting for it to come in this AM. In the meantime, we pulled the unit out of the rack and set it up with a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

That's when I remembered Mark1234's comments. So while we waited for the PS to come in, I figured, "Hey, why not?"

So we unplugged the cable going to the the hard drive backplane and turned the server on. It fired up!?!? ARRGGHH! That means that I had ordered the WRONG part! A different part means ANOTHER DAY!! <<>>>

We shut the unit back down, again removing all power and plugged the backplane back in. But this time I removed both drives from the backplane. If it worked, then maybe the backplane is OK and one of the drives is bad.

Fire it back up and ... it worked AGAIN! Does this mean I have a bad drive? Wait a minute, that's not a good thing either. The one thing I had reassured folks was that we didn't lose data, just a power supply. When am I EVER going to holster my 45 caliber mouth?

Shut the unit back down again and began to plug in just the first drive. Then I thought for a minute ... perhaps the box would see this as the mirror on the two drives as broken? Hmmmm.

Better to plug them both in. If we have the same problem, the mirror is broken anyways, and who knows? Perhaps it will work.

It worked. Grrrrr! I hate exercises in futility.

I brought the Windows 2003 Server all the way up, checking for magic smoke, checking for any excessive heat. I gave it 10 minutes and then checked to make certain that SQL Server had recovered nicely before doing another shutdown.

Down the server, unplug power, count to 10, plug back in and fire it up. Again, no problems!

Put it back in the rack and still, no problems.

So, I tell everyone that the unit is up - and hey, I'm a hero! I feel like a putz; but to them, I'm a hero.

I'm not normally the one to look a gifted horse in the mouth, but ... did the server just want to get out of the rack and go out on the town?

That's when the secretary came in and said, "Hey Jeff! That new part for the server just came in from UPS!" I was never any good at being a hero anyway.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Jeff,
really good story. Take it from the positive way - now you have a spare PSU if your original fails. :)

Jan
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmm.. JeffreyD nice to see it worked out

often a loose cable or card backplane etc can cause such issues ,servers boot up better if it is a none critical internal part that is faulty,
but if that same part has a bad connection or not seated well, it can often cause a state where the server will not complete post..

enjoy;:)