ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748165 Members
3743 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 shutdown itself every 10 min?

david Feng
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G3 shutdown itself every 10 min?

hi,

I just purchased my ML150 G3 server. But for some reason , it reboot every 10 minute. I try to change watchdog timing to 100 min, but still no difference. The action when time up is 'do nothing'.

I don't know what could have cause it, but the other appliance on the same 'power board' has no problem. This tells me the problem is from the server itself rather then power supply from the wall.

Can anyone suggest sth? I haven't able to install anything as i can't even get pass the raid 1 building phase (take alot more then 10 minute).

Thanks in advance.
david

16 REPLIES 16
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Go to bios and check for the error report there. there you can check for h/w error.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

try running the server witr minimum memory set and no HDD. keep it up in bios screen to check if it reboot within time limit.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
david Feng
Occasional Advisor

the log from bios has event description as 'Hard Reset'. The only things i have done to this brand new server are :
*put in another single stick 512Ram;
*connect hard disk up using single port raid cable. (2 of them where one to each hard disk)
*Attempt to build raid but fail coz the machine restart in 10 min windows , even you in bios screen.

Does this suggest some power supply problem or ram issue? i will try to restart machine using min. RAM and post back (which will be single stick512RAM)

ps: all my part are from HP.

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

check with the minium configuration without hdd to rule out any issues of failure with hdd/ram.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
david Feng
Occasional Advisor

i tried to disconnect hard disk and just let system hang at 'no os found' & ' cable error please check connection'.

It's been about an hour no problem. I am not sure if the problem is caused by hard disk.\

I was told that without back plane (electronic board connected to back of hard disks), i can still use the hotplug drive where i just use the single port SATA cable to connect to sata port (in one-to-one manner). Not sure if that cause the problem? Maybe i should only use non-hotplug drive?? But i thought if it's wrong, the system won't even allow to build the raid 1 volume , not like building half way and reboot...
david Feng
Occasional Advisor

ok, I got little progress now.

I tried to connect to one hard disk a time (before was setting up as raid1) and just do simple sata single disk. I can get to the screen of rhel4 till setting up root password (which mean i can get pass hard drive detection section.

This work for both disk. But when i boot up and try to put 2 disk into raid 1 , it just fail (via F8 at boot up). Not only that, if i do F8 and do disk verify , it just reboot at 10 min windows.

I think it's an embedded controller problem. I just brought the machine right before Xmas. Will a firmware upgrade save me from this mess? I have tried to install RHEL for 2 days and the next biz support not even get back to me :(

Appreciated any suggestions!

dav
david Feng
Occasional Advisor

anyone has anymore idea?
Iwan van Steinvoorn

When building a mirror using the HP embedded SATA Raid controler the system restarts when
it reaches 15-20% during the build.

We have had the same problem with our four ML150 G3 servers.
With the folowing BIOS version and BIOS settings we solved the problem:

Bios ProLiant BIOS O07
Build Date 06/23/2006

F10 -> PhoenixBios Setup -> Advanced -> IPMI ->:

BIOS POST Watchdog: Disabled
OS boot Watchdog: Disabled

Timer for loading OS (min) 100

Have a nice day!
Rob Pelletier_2
Advisor

First, update the BIOS.

Then, look here for a workaround:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00842293&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I was having this problem, but am also having other problems with a new ML150 G3. I'll never buy another one - maybe not another HP at all! I have wasted about 20 hours now with this piece of junk, and HP is just giving me the runaround...