ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753922 Members
7460 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML150 G3 shutdown itself every 10 min?

david Feng
Occasional Advisor

ML150 G3 server isn't pleasant experience compare to dell. But after i upgrade the Bios and disable the watchdog, the abnormal shutdown is resolved.

Not sure if i will encounter any more problem but at least i got my redhat running now.

ps: thanks for all the help. You guys are alot more helpful then the paid support :)
Rob Pelletier_2
Advisor

The BIOS Post Watchdog needs to be disabled to prevent spontaneous restarting for the server while working ion the RAID setup utility.

However, the other watchdog (OS Boot) must ALSO be disabled, this to prevent the server from shutting down after the OS is loaded. The document convering this bug is "Internal" only - in other words, HP is aware of the problem but is keeping the solution from their customers. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft (because HP said it wasn't their hardware's fault) and the Microsoft support guy helped me prove it was an HP BIOS issue.

I have always had a positive experience with HP support, but this time was different. I probably wasted about 20 hours investigating and resolving several problems with this ML 150 G3.
Stephen I Gultig

Hi

Was this problem resolved? I am having the same trouble but have noticed in the IPMI event logs that the RS Diode is exceeding its Upper Limit of just 50C. the event log looks like this:

SEL Entry Number = 259
SEL Record ID = 143C
SEL Record Type = 02 - System Event Record
Timestamp = 04/11/2007 15:35:54
Generator Id = 20 00
SEL Message Rev = 04
Sensor Type = 01 - Temperature
Sensor Number = 4D - RS Diode
SEL Event Type = 81 - Threshold
Event Description = Upper Critical Going High, Deassertation
SEL Event Data = 59 25 36

I am reluctant to turn off warnings for overheating if that's the solution you are using..? I am running 4 x 250 Gb HDDS in RAID 10 (embedded).

Would be nice to know whether your event log is also reporting temperature problems.

Thanks
Stephen
Rob Pelletier_2
Advisor

I disabled both watchdog settings and never had the problem again.

However, I must caution you: make sure you flash the BIOS to the latest version (Aug2007). There are other problems besides this one to beware of...

I left all the warning functions enabled, and the problem has never returend.
manhhung

Hi,

I have the same problem. My ML150 G3 reboots at ramdom interval from 10min to some 3 hours.

After read in the forum, I changed Post watchdog to Disable but forot to change loading OS to 100 min. I think the default value is (10s?).

Now, my server reboots after 10 seconds and I have no time to active the BIOS setup again.

Could someone help me how to get in to the BIOS setup?

Your helps are very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sergio Fiumara

I am having exact same issue on our ML150 G3 server. Need help???
AMRIT RANJAN
Frequent Advisor

Hi David/All
This is the known issue of 100 series server
not to worry , refer below link for public advisory
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00842293&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

........... AMRIT